Ch. 18

Note: Hello ladies and gents!! As promised, I received the 3 comments so I'm posting the precious chapter 18! Beware, it's a life changing chapter lmfao. Anyways, extra special thank you to... Pununexpected IceBlueCold ricebunny321 for their participation in my "comment-for-chapter-18-campaign." It was really great to hear from you guys and I appreciate the kind words soooo much. I hope you all enjoy, and without further ado, here is chapter 18

Layla

Layla anxiously approached the door, nearly yanking it open to reveal a stiff Christian.

His eyes were busy scanning Layla, up and down.

And then came the bobbing of his Adam's apple as he took several noticeable gulps.

She was a bit worried when he didn't even say hello.

He looked as if he'd seen a ghost.

Layla decided that she had to be the first to speak, in order to break this awkward spell.

"Hi. Y-you look really nice," Layla squeaked out, lacking confidence. It was almost if he'd broken out of a trance when his eyes finally met hers.

"Oh, gosh. I think it's my job to say that first, uh..." Christian nervously rolled up his sleeves and laughed at his own foolishness,"you look... absolutely stunning."

"And these are for you. I got them this morning, so I'm sorry if they're a little droopy, I-I was in the car for a while," he handed her the roses, stopping to give her a bright smile.

Layla immediately returned his gesture and flashed an even larger grin.

"Thank you so much. That's really so sweet of you. I'll just put them in water... and then we can get going?" Layla looked to Christian for approval, and when he nodded, she scampered inside to fill a vase with water before meeting him outside.

When she made it outside again, she closed the door behind her and followed his lead to the car.

Expecting him to part to his side while she got in, Christian surprised her when he opened her door. Layla thanked him for his chivalry as he closed it gently.

When he jumped into the driver's seat, Layla finally took a moment to look at him.

His tight-fitting, button-up shirt.

The strong forearms that stretched so beautifully as he drove.

His strong thighs, encased in navy fabric that made his eyes pop.

And the brown belt that made him seem so professional and broad.

Layla couldn't help but salivate over his appearance. Even his lips looked so ki-

"I really can't thank you enough for coming with me. I won't lie. I'm somewhat nervous. I haven't seen a lot of these people in years. I just hope my ex doesn't show," Christian strained as he glanced at Layla.

"I'm happy to be your date," Layla replied, not exactly sure how to address his statement. She hoped, that for both of their sakes, his ex wasn't there.

"I guess we'll just have to get through the night together," she smiled at him and hoped that he could see her genuine expression.

The rest of the ride was relatively quiet, but not unpleasantly so. He turned the radio on, and Layla was beginning to think that he did so to prevent any awkward exchanges. But nonetheless, it helped keep her pending anxiety at bay.