PART ONE | 1. Changes

and so the third and final story to the confide trilogy begins...!

3 Years After Rick and the Bridge

The sunlight from Alex's window had shined right in her face. It was early morning, and once again another night with restless sleep. For years, she couldn't sleep right. It went deeper than just sleep. Without being in the right mindset, it forced her to stay up for hours, to work non stop, so that she could try not to think about all that went wrong since Rick's death. But, despite Alexandria growing stronger, as well as the other communities, she felt like she wasn't growing with it.

Months, definitely even some years have passed since Rick's death. Things were changing, most of it was good. Alexandria had elected officials to make the community thrive and more organized. They held elections for certain roles so things could work. There wasn't just going to be one leader anymore - there were going to be leaders for certain aspects.

Alex finally opens her eyes, but quickly squints at the sun. Everything was too bright, and she was exhausted. Her head turns from the window to the body laying down next to her, hiding in the covers and the pillow.

"I thought you left last night." She groans, stretching her body.

"Good morning to you too."

His voice was deep, but loud enough to hear him. Her body rolls over then sits up against the wall on her bed. She rubs her eyes, then stares down at the man beside her laying down.

"I've told you this many times, you can't sleepover. You can't.. we can't do this."

"Oh come on, babe." He chuckles as he sits up next to me. "You have to admit, this? This is perfect. Having a good time at night, then falling asleep-"

"I'll stop you right there," she laughs sarcastically, as she points at him and then herself, "this doesn't mean anything."

"Oh, Lex."

"Do not call me that." Her head snaps to the man laying in her bed. "You gotta go, get out. Now, Elijah."

"What? I can't put on my clothes here?"

Alex stands up, dressed in the heavily faded blue button down that was once his. She stares down Elijah in annoyance. "Elijah, go."

She watches him swiftly move off the bed, heading to the door.

"Alex, you gotta just let things happen." He says.

"No, not this." She shakes her head and turns back to her window, looking out at the empty streets of Alexandria. "That's done with."

Once she's alone, she sits down on the edge of the bed, sighing as she puts her head in her hands. After trying to gather her thoughts about Elijah, she looks around the empty guest room. She silently thanked herself for never bringing him or anyone else in the room next door, the one her and Daryl shared - she didn't think she could handle the heartache if she let another man that wasn't Daryl, in that bed.

The day Alex and Daryl watched Rick sacrificed himself for everyone, was a rough day. Especially the days and weeks leading after. The two of them stood by each others side, despite everything that happened. Although they barely spoke, they both accepted each others embrace and comfort.

During that time, Alex felt like maybe it was time to get over the difference in perspective they shared, especially now since the majority of saviors are dead, and some completely gone. Negan was still in his cell, rotting away for what he did. But it wasn't easy, not for her and definitely not for him. Their relationship was...not the same. It was still something they were trying to figure out after all this time. It was like time was becoming the enemy for them both. Alex thought maybe things would get better for the two right away. But it still took time to get to where they used to be.