3. The Visit

"Love is but a fleeting friend, we'll end up both alone, oh we know ... Everyone leaves eventually, darling. Don't be afraid."
Eventually, Darling - Declan McKenna

"we survive by pulling together, not apart."
rick grimes

A day after her conversation with Michonne, she felt like she owed it to not only Daryl, but herself and Rick to show up and talk to him. If this is how things were going to go for another three years, she would not like that, so she wanted to put an end to the agony and try.

The horse ride to where Daryl was camping out at, wasn't so long. He wasn't actually so far from Alexandria as she thought he was. There was no Daryl in sight. Just an empty little camp set up, but he was definitely still living here. Alex roams around after tying the horse to a tree.

She see's a small pit for fire and notices that it was smoking just a bit. He was probably just here and she missed him. Her nerves relax when it is clear that she's missed him. She takes a breather, closing her eyes, to gather herself before going back home.

"If you were looking for me, I was just out hunting."

She opens her eyes and sees Daryl standing a couple of feet away from her, dropping some dead animal onto the ground. He's back, he's here.

"Nice camp you have set up."

He nods, waiting for her to continue on talking, figuring out why she showed up today. Alex leans against a tree, staring at him from afar.

"Look, I don't know how to start. But with Rosita and Michonne telling me to come here, with this being a start, I'm just going to talk."

"So go on." He urges, resting his crossbow on the ground next to his chair, but he doesn't sit.

"You know I wanted to keep looking for Rick. But I couldn't. Rick is gone, Michonne was out there with you, Alexandria had no leader. I needed to step up and make sure that our home was taken care of." Alex starts tearing up, but she made sure to make every word clear to him. She stays  against the tree, her arms folded into her chest.

"I thought about you every day. I have missed you, every goddamn day since I made the decision with Rick to keep Negan alive. "

"Did that change?" He asks, standing up from the water and walking to Alex.

"In the past, yeah I was upset. At you, at everyone who didn't have hope in Rick and I and everyone else. But I was also upset at myself for not giving your way a chance. But we have to get over it, we have to keep living. For everyone we've lost, it'll only make things more sufferable."

"How?"

"First step would be to just accept what things are like now." She offers.

"That ain't easy, and you damn well know it."

This hurts her, but she doesn't back down from trying.

"Just fucking listen to me, please." Alex pleads. "I've tried so long to try and do this, to come to you. To open myself up and extend my hand to you, to make you see that you need us, we're family. But if you don't, fine. I'll just leave you here, alone, like you want."

She takes a step forward, but then her back hits the tree again when Daryl holds her arms and slightly pushes her. She grabs onto his forearms, looking up at him confused.

"Is this how it's going to be? Between us."

He doesn't answer, like always, but his eyes meet hers. For a moment, he hesitates to speak or lean in and kiss her. But he decides to speak.