8. Live For You

"For many years I wait, for many tears I wait. All this time my thoughts return to you, give my love that is all I can do."
I Live For You - George Harrison

"Lex," His voice was taunting, warning her to take it easy.

Alex was grabbing onto the couch in the living room, trying to lift herself up and walk. She was trying to do it alone, but Daryl was refusing for her to go anywhere. And deep down inside no matter how much she refused for help during the nearing months of her pregnancy, she wanted him there every second. No matter how annoyed she was, she found his over protective traits endearing.

"Daryl..." She teases back in hope that he settles back down on the couch. "All I need to do is go to the bathroom! It's right there." She points to the door that is just a few feet away by the stairwell, still leaning against the arm of the couch. He inches towards her on the couch and wraps his arm around her waist, holding on tightly as his chin leans on her shoulder.

"Baby," he whispers after leaving a soft kiss on her shoulder before pulling away. "I just want to be there for you, alright? I'm trying."

But of course, trying wasn't easy. Sometimes his over protectiveness got her angry but deep down inside she loved that he was here and trying to keep her safe.

"I know you are." She places her hand on the side of his face.

"You should be due this month. I need to be here, I can't miss that...I won't."

"You might, Daryl." She rubs his face for a moment, then drops her hand to rest it on her stomach.

"Yeah, but you know I don't want to."

"Do you uh..do you really need to keep leaving though? There's more than enough people to go out on these runs, and these searches for people. I mean...look at how good things are here. For the first time in a long time, there's nothing to worry about. No threats. Not many walkers lately." 

Daryl had been back in Alexandria, but it was still hard to be there when Negan was still locked up and alive. He left as many times as he could, even when he was with Alex at home. He took as many jobs on going out for runs as possible, but also made sure that he would never leave Alex alone at night. She understood everything, but of course it made her upset. Alex was worrying that he'd continue to let Negan get to him, that he'd be angry forever with him and for Maggie. She was scared that Daryl would never move on from it, no matter how hard he tried to stay at home in Alexandria and start this life with her.

"I missed out on a lot, Lex." He sighs. "I won't ever stop apologizing for that. Not to just you, but Michonne, the kids everyone here and Hilltop."

"I understand, but...can you just make tomorrow your last run for a while? For me. For us."

For a second, she thinks he's hesitating as he stares into the fire across from them. But it isn't until he turned to her and nodded his head.

"Yeah, I can."

"So, how long will you be gone?"

"Pushing me away already?"

"Daryl..." She smiles. "Not at all."

"A day or two."

"Make it a day."

"I'll try my best." Daryl reaches for her hand and holds it. "Come on, let's get up stairs before you pee your pants."