Glad Tidings

"There is a football game scheduled for Christmas day." Colonel Sink rose from his chair as he scanned the calendar on the far wall.

Edith didn't reply, her gaze fixed on the window. Easy Company was drilling out in the training field for whenever they would be sent back into the waiting arms of combat. Word had been that it wouldn't be until spring when the boys would be packed into planes headed for Berlin.

"That will be a pleasant distraction," Edith replied curtly, feigning interest. Football games had nothing to do with her job. "Is there anything you need, colonel?"

"I wanted to ask about your time in Paris."

Edith met her father's eyes as he nonchalantly glanced up at her. She shrugged, tightening her hands into a knot at the small of her back.

"It was uneventful, sir."

"Did you see anyone from Mourmelon?"

"Why?" She almost winced at the sharpness of her tone and tried to cover it with a small smile.

Colonel Sink studied her face at her reaction. "No reason, just curious."

"I was alone almost the entire time."

Almost. She hadn't lied to him. She said almost.

Colonel Sink considered her before giving a yielding nod. "At least now I can tell your mother that I haven't kept you buried at a desk like she thinks I am."

A firm knock at the door thankfully brought that vein of conversation to an end.

"Come in," Colonel Sink barked, straightening a pile of papers.

As her father's orderly opened the door, she glanced back towards the window and the men of Easy Company outside. Edith bit back the curiosity of what Captain Winters was doing while his men were marching in the frothy December mist.

"Captain Winters, sir."

Edith jerked forward at the announcement, her hands landing on the back of the chair in front of her. 

"Send him in." Colonel Sink gave her a half interested glance before nodding to the orderly. "Are you alright, Edith?"

Edith placed her hands flat on her torso, smoothing down her jacket. "Yes, of course. Why?"

She heard Dick snap to attention at the door, his boots cuffing the worn floors. Colonel Sink shifted his attention and waved him in.

"Come in, Winters," he welcomed.

The orderly closed the door. Edith forced her expression to remain blank, her pulse threatening to lose control. He moved directly next to her. She kept her gaze forward.

"Dick, I don't know if you have met my daughter Edith." Colonel Sink sat down.

"We met briefly back in Aldbourne," Edith commented.

Captain Winters bent his tall frame towards her, but didn't meet her eyes. "Lieutenant."

"Captain."

"Very well," Colonel Sink continued. Edith kept her eyes on her father's worn hands laid flat on his desk. "Nixon said you went away on leave this weekend, Dick. That doesn't sound like you."

She could almost see the quiet smile play at his mouth as he shook his head.

"I was pretty much forced to it."

"Well, I'm glad to hear it. It's good to get away," Colonel Sink continued with the pleasantries, something contradictory of his nature. It made Edith wary.