A Transfer

As she and Samantha trotted through the busy Austrian village, Edith caught sight of Sergeant Eddie Grable in a group of GIs. He was dressed in his PT gear with a baseball bat slung over his narrow shoulders. Edith lifted a hand about to call out to him.

"Don't you do it," Samantha snarled under her breath.

Edith turned to her subordinate in surprise. "What do you mean?"

"Don't you draw Eddie's attention over here." Samantha hung behind her until the young man disappeared around a corner. "Lord. You almost blew my cover."

"What are you talking about?"

"I have been doing my best to avoid him since the other night at the park."

"Why?"

"Because the boy tried to kiss me!"

"And you're surprised? Samantha Quincey, he has been sweet on you since the moment he clapped eyes on you."

"I know it. I shouldn't have-"

"Led him on?"

"Yes." Samantha groaned, running her hands over her face. "He's a great guy and he's fun to be around. I just don't feel... I don't know how to explain it."

Samantha's gaze zeroed in her shoes. There was a slight tick to her rounded cheek as she bit the inside of her mouth.

"It's not the same as it was with Walter," Edith surmised.

"I'm scared it never will be again." Samantha gave a weak laugh, kicking a beer bottle into the gutter.

Edith bit her lip. She was tempted to tell her that she had been plagued with the same fears after Colonel Dobey broke her heart. That there were much better things waiting for her if she would only be open to them. Edith could feel the words brimming in her brain.

"You know... if Smokey means that much to you, you need to tell him."

"He was the one who ended things."

"Did he know how you felt about him?" Edith asked quietly.

Samantha shook her head. "I didn't feel like I could say it. I wanted to be practical. Your whole pedestal speech spooked me a bit."

Edith hooked an arm with her. "I'm sorry I said all that. I was wrong."

Samantha glanced over at her in surprise. "I never thought I'd hear that from you."

"I should never have scared you away from loving someone." Edith peered down the street towards the breathless blue of Lake Zell. "If you love the man, you should tell him. What's the worst that could happen anyway? He says no?"

"And then I end up alone." Samantha scoffed. "I'm already alone now."

"Then someone else will come along. They always do. Will you at least think about writing Smokey? His response might surprise you."

"I'll consider it," Samantha conceded.

Edith let her go, brushing a hand through the loose waves on her shoulders. She had forgone her usual chignon and let the honeyed strands do as they pleased for the day. The thought of trying to tie herself up in buttons and pins had felt impossible that morning. 

Sleep had escaped her for most of the previous evening. As she would drift off, she'd awaken to the memory of heat burning up her lips. The pressure of Dick's touch on her body had left imprints like indents in the sand.

Samantha skipped ahead, walking backwards to face her. "Would you just fess up already? Who's the man?"

Edith waved a hand dismissively. "What man?"