The Arrival of Captain Sobel

"What is the last item here?" Dick asked, perusing the inventory list at his desk.

"That would be a machete." Edith smirked as he glanced at her. "Just one of those."

Dick shook his head with a sigh. "Perhaps I should be more specific in the future."

"Perhaps."

Dick smoothed out the paper before closing the folder. "This should be sufficiently detailed. Even for Herbert Sobel."

"All the stories I have heard proceeding the man... is he someone I should be concerned about?"

"You? No, you shouldn't be concerned about Captain Sobel. I have every faith you will keep him in line."

She took the folder from his outstretched hand. He held her gaze for a second before peering directly down at a nearby mess of paperwork. She bit her lip and tucked the file under her arm.

"It looks like you have quite an afternoon ahead of you so I'll leave you to it then," Edith said congenially as possible.

She knew if she lingered, the silence would fall so heavy between them that it would end up driving her away. Edith was glad she had reached an amiable place in her relationship with Dick. It had taken a couple weeks before they were able to toss a joke about work back and forth.

Despite the awkwardness between them, she longed for the time she could spend with him. Whether Dick realized it or not, Edith was at his whim. They never used first names. Never asked about the other's weekends or nights off. It was strictly business. But she hungered for any word she could glean from the man, however few.

"Very well." Rising from his chair, Dick paced over to a nearby file cabinet. 

His expression as impassive as ever, he opened the drawer and ran his fingers over his neatly kept, crimson waves. Edith studied him with barely concealed fascination, reluctant to depart. His presence was like spying warm light from a porch down a long dark road. He peeked over his shoulder at her with raised brows. Edith jolted, realizing she had been staring.

"Good day, major." 

"Good day," he replied dryly, turning his back.

She made her way down the busy sidewalk. Edith paused on the other side of the street from the building where she worked. A truck stopped and allowed her to cross. She waved a hand and trotted over. Not slowing her pace, she became aware of someone catching up to her.

"Edith." Lewis Nixon raced up alongside her.

"Captain Nixon."

"One of these days, you are going to call me Lewis again."

"I guess we'll have to wait and see."

Since arriving in Austria, Nixon had made several more passes at her. Unlike Colonel Dobey, the man couldn't take a hint. If anything, her cold rebuttals seemed to egg him on. She had to hand it to him. He had tenacity.

"Where are you off to in such a hurry?"

Edith slowed her pace as she approached the entry to her building. "I'm late for a meeting. I left Quincey to handle what information she could, but the overseeing supply officer just arrived. I believe he is an old Easy Company man of yours."

"Really?" Nixon flashed her an inquiring smile as they stopped.

"Herbert Sobel?"

Nixon let out a short chuckle. "Good luck. You'll need it."

"So I've heard." Edith opened the door. 

"Wait, Edith." Nixon touched her elbow, giving her pause. "Have you heard about the little party being held tonight in the park by the lake?"