The Ring from Berchtesgaden

Evening folded its downy wings over Lake Zell as subtly as snowfall. Heather and coin grey to the east crept with ageless tenacity, washing away the shades of sunset reflected on the water. The balcony railing was warm with the memory of sunlight. Edith wrapped her fingers around it.

The thought of leaving Austria the next morning burrowed into her chest like shrapnel. Her breath caught in her throat as his arm wrapped around her waist. Moreover, the thought of leaving him was almost too much to bear. Edith faced him. Dick was loosening his tie, his eyes lending gravity to her thoughts.

"You let yourself in." He rested his long hands on the dip between her hips and waistline.

"I hope that's okay."

"Why wouldn't it be?" He grinned as he curled a strand of hair behind the shell of her ear.

It had been two weeks since the walls had come crashing down between them. Edith couldn't remember a time that she had been happier. They had kept quiet about their affair. Nixon, of course, had guessed right away, but respected their privacy. He seemed to know them both well enough to give them space.

Samantha had been egging Edith for days. Edith swore the girl could smell a scandal from a mile away. Though there was nothing truly scandalous about their relationship.

Dick was nothing like Dobey. Edith cringed at the memory of her and the British colonel's clandestine holiday to the Welsh seaside that last summer. She had thought herself so grown up, sleeping with a man without a ring and having breakfast in bed. Dobey had made the whole situation so easy. Edith had thought there was no way it wouldn't end in marriage. The heart crushing reality of their affair had shattered that expectation and left her wounded.

Dick was so different. He didn't pry at her reserve. It seemed like the man never expected to make love to her, but wanted to without question. He had implied that he expected things to progress to marriage, but had never said the words outright. Edith was reluctant to push the subject, fearful of the consequences of such a conversation.

"Happy birthday."

She blinked, coming out of her thoughts. She had completely forgotten. At her wide eyed surprise, Dick chuckled.

"I've never been one for birthdays either."

"It slipped my mind." Edith briefly rested her forehead against his shoulder. "How ridiculous."

"27 years old. It's an accomplishment."

"Especially for our generation it seems." Edith couldn't help replying, the image of artillery ravaged trees floating into her brain.

Dick grew silent, the lines around his mouth tightening. She had never asked him about his war experiences. Those were his memories to do with as he pleased. If he ever reached a place where he needed someone to listen, she would be more than willing.

His brow smoothed as he studied her intently. He took a tentative step back.

"I know this isn't the proper order of things." He tucked his hands in his pockets. "But nothing between us has ever been traditional to say to least."

Edith gave a breathy hum in agreement. "You could say that. Not much of a chance for you to walk me home from church while keeping the German line at bay in the Ardennes."

"Or sitting on a porch swing after Sunday dinner with your parents."

Edith shook her head. None of it mattered. As long as he was there with her, it was all inconsequential. Dick retreated further, his eyes remaining on her face.

"I don't know when we will be deployed or for how long. But I know now that I can't leave the men."

"I never thought you would." Edith swallowed hard with a firm nod.