The Party By Lake Zell

Edith gave a compulsory dance to Captain Sobel.

She was pleasantly surprised to find that he was light on his feet. However, he seemed to be swinging her towards the group of Easy Company men on purpose, as though he was parading a conquest. From the begrudging smirk on Captain Nixon's face, Edith guessed her suspicions were correct.

Towards the end of the dance, Nixon didn't look like he could take it anymore. He tossed back his last swallow of beer then strode towards them with his signature march. He tapped Sobel on the shoulder.

"Excuse me, Captain Sobel, but I believe Lieutenant Sink owes me a dance." He gave his former superior officer a chilly smile.

Sobel blustered for a moment before looking at Edith who bit her lip.

"Thank you, Captain Sobel. You are quite a dancer. This has been a genuine pleasure."

Despite having gotten his rankles up, Sobel bowed out with his pride intact. Edith nearly breathed a sigh of relief as Nixon wrapped an arm around her waist.

"I don't believe I owe you anything, Captain Nixon," she commented dryly.

"But now you do. I was just getting my payment in advance."

Her gaze shifted towards Samantha who was wrapped around Sergeant Grable. The girl winked at her on the sly. Nixon entwined his fingers with hers then rested their mated hands on his shoulder.

Edith tried not to think of Dick Winters. For a second, she could have swore he looked at her the same way he had before the Battle of the Bulge. Yet the moment had been brief and the reserved coolness that cloaked him had returned. Edith was beginning to accept their strictly formal relationship.

"Edith, what d'yah say?"

Edith jolted, remembering that she was swaying on the wide green with Lewis Nixon. He had been talking to her the entire time.

"What?" she blurted, emerging from her stupor.

He studied her with heavy eyebrows raised. "Were you listening?"

Edith's face warmed. "I'm sorry, Lewis. What were you saying?"

As she said his first name, his faced loosened into a smile. "I was asking if you had plans after this shindig?"

"After?"

"Yes, some of the other officers were planning on making a night of it. What d'yah say?"

"When you say 'make a night of it', what kind of night are you implying?" Edith asked dryly.

Nixon shrugged with a wry smirk. "I guess we'd just have to see how things transpired. It'd be up to you, Edith."

He pulled her body tightly against his own. Her eyes cut to the side.

"Captain Nixon-"

"Lewis."

"Lewis," she conceded as they swept past the small band under a string of electric lights. "I feel like I should be frank with you."

"That wouldn't be unusual."

"Let me see if I can put this gracefully. I have never had to say anything like this to anyone. Lewis, I don't believe anything between us beyond friendship would be healthy-"

"Edith please," he stopped her midsentence, leveling her with a startling look of soulful understanding. "I have a feeling I know where you are going with this speech. You don't need to explain. We'll call it good between us, okay?"

Edith's lips parted as she studied his dark gaze. "So, you wouldn't be upset?"

"Well, I may cry into my pillow for a couple nights, but I think I'll get over you eventually."