Chapter Two

My mind preoccupied, I hardly heard a word of conversation during that meal. If I had been asked, I would not have been able to name a single dish I consumed. I declined to join them after supper was finished, wanting only my own company.

The fact that James Windibank sent a knowing look towards mother made me grit my teeth. Was he going to judge my every action from now on? The idea made me restless that night, and I didn't get any sleep.

Come morning, I'd decided to go about my day as if nothing had happened. I would, however, make my way to Baker Street, and beg Mr. Holmes to explain what had happened. Living my life under a threat was not acceptable.

I think I managed an air of normalcy when I joined Mother and James—after his absurd threat, I saw no reason to even think of him in a paternal role—for breakfast. My step-father was dressed for work, and he said nothing about the argument the previous evening. He did, however, eye me with a questioning expression.

"And what are your plans for today, Mary?" he asked.

"Oh, the usual. I am expected at the solicitor's office to type up some important documents," I said, picking up my cup of tea. "Perhaps this afternoon I will take a walk in one of the parks. If the weather is agreeable."

Was it my imagination, or did James flinch? "Mary, your mother and I worry your typing work is overworking you," he said. "Perhaps you should take a holiday from your hobby."

Raising an eyebrow, I sipped my tea before answering. "Mother said much the same thing yesterday," I said. "And if it really is such a concern to you both, I will accept your counsel on the matter. It would take only a moment for my solicitor to put my allowance for me so that I may purchase what I need."

Meaning, naturally, that Mother and James would no longer have access to my inheritance. It seemed that was all they wanted from me. Oh, why had Hosmer gone away without taking me with him?

"Mary, this independent, selfish attitude is very unlike you," James said, his brows drawing together with a frown. He turned to Mother. "My dear, perhaps we should have a doctor visit."

Not "we should have Dr. Thomas", the doctor who had tended us for years come to see me. A doctor. A doctor who would undoubtedly agree with what James thought.

Mother's eyes took on a worried expression and she shook her head. "Oh, dear, you may be right. But let's not jump to any hasty decisions."

If she had rediscovered some motherly concern, it was a feeble effort on her part. "I will gladly speak to Dr. Thomas, though having him come here would no doubt inconvenience him," I said brightly. "Perhaps instead of a walk in the park, I will stop at Dr. Thomas' office."

James' eyes narrowed. Did he think I just allow him to rule my life? Had he expected me to submit to his threats without fighting back? Did he think me completely stupid?

Well, I had some intelligence and more than a little self-preservation in my blood!

"No, no," he said. "As your mother said, none of us want to be hasty about anything." Despite his pleasant tone, he pointed a finger at me. "But do not forget what I said. Make no attempt to see that Holmes character."

"Have a good day, Mother," I said as I stood up. "I will see you this afternoon. Have a pleasant day at work, James."

It was the first time I had ever addressed him by his first name, and I felt rather bold. No more would I pretend this family was normal. No more would I pretend he was related to me in any way other than marriage.

The effect my words had was immediate. Mother gasped and covered her mouth with her hand. James' face paled, though, from the glint in his eyes, it was from anger and not shock.