Chapter Twelve

Shocked, I went still. What in the world—? What was he doing? I managed to get my free hand between us and I shoved him back.

"Don't you understand what it has been like to have you in this house, Mary?" he demanded. His eyes had a wild look in them now. "We're not so far apart in age, you know."

"Are you out of your mind? You are married to my mother!" I said, keeping my hand up to keep him away. He still had a firm grip on my right arm. "You had me call you 'Father' for several years! And you think I would just...just accept this overture of...of affection? You repulse me!"

James' face darkened. "Why couldn't you have let things be?" he demanded. "You were not harmed and things were fine."

"Fine for you, perhaps, but I definitely do not agree that I wasn't hurt by what you did." I swiped my hand over my mouth. "Unless you have something informative to say, kindly leave me alone."

Without a word, he strode to the door, exited the room and then slammed the door shut. I heard the click of the lock a moment later. "You won't be able to keep me in here forever!" I shouted at him through the wood for good measure.

I didn't get a response, which wasn't a surprise at all. As I glanced around my room, I counted myself fortunate that he hadn't done anything more than grab me and verbally express his anger. I'd certainly provoked him enough. Although I now would most certainly have some terrible bruises, I wasn't seriously harmed.

However, I was angry. Angry about what James and my mother had done to me. Angry that they wouldn't let me go. Angry that my life had been revealed to the world without permission. Angry to be locked inside a room I had once loved.

Determined, I strode to the window and managed to get it open. The rush of breeze cooled my face. I poked my head out and looked about. Below me, the street was quiet and no one was walking by. Beneath my fingertips, the bricks provided little in the way of foot or finger holds.

"It was a foolish hope," I said with a sigh. After all, what did I know about climbing down a wall? In my skirt and shoes, it would have been impossible, of course.

As I considered my situation, I heard a four-wheeler coming down the street at a fast pace. It came to a halt in front and, to my delight, Evangeline charged out of the cab. "Evangeline!" I called out.

She twisted around before looking up. "Mary! Are you well?"

"I'll be better when I am released from this room."

Anything I'd intended to say was forgotten when I saw the three gentlemen who appeared out of the cab. Mr. Carter and Alfred I had expected, but the third was a shock. Mr. Jasper Irdale? Why had they brought him along? Puzzled, I shook my head.

"You will be free in a moment, Miss Sutherland," Alfred said, peering up at me. His tone was quite fierce for someone who was usually a genial and amiable young man.

"Thank you!" I pulled myself back into my room to wait for my rescuers.

It wasn't more than a minute before I could hear shouting from below. Another two minutes brought the sound of hurried footsteps on the stairs and then in the hallway. And then, the door was open.

"Oh, Mary! Are you really alright?" Evangeline asked as she entered. In her hand was the key. Her eyes were bright with anger and victory. "When that cabbie—your fiend of a stepfather, I assume?—took off with you, I was never more afraid in my life! I wasn't sure if we would find you unharmed."

"I am fine," I said, embracing her as soon as she reached me. "My dress has ripped under my arm, the heel of my boot is now loose, and I've lost my hat. Other than that, no damage has been done. James was going to send me to an institution, so he put me in here to wait for the doctors' arrival."