Chapter Seven

True to her word, Miss Carter appeared several times at the front door during the week. Mother was charmed by her, but when informed, James Windibank was annoyed. He called my friend a busybody and wanted to know why she kept visiting, even when she knew I would be out typing.

"She has no business always being here! Who are her family, anyway?" he would ask. "I am astonished an honorable family such as the Rouillards deign to have her about! All that suffrage nonsense is revolting!"

Of course, I kept my opinion to myself. Not that anything I said would have eased James' annoyance. He had taken Evangeline in dislike, no doubt because she encouraged me to be independent.

It was during one of her brief visits that Evangeline mentioned to my mother that she intended to introduce me to Mr. Weare's cousin. I wasn't present at the time, but Evangeline swore my mother's face paled. When I returned home, I was faced with two angry people.

"Just what game are you playing at?" James demanded as soon as I stepped through the front door. His face was red and his eyes flashed with anger.

Warily, I kept my distance. "What do you mean by that?" I asked, truly confused. "What game? I'm not playing at anything."

"So you deny that your friend" he spat out the word like is was something detestable "Isn't encouraging you to be fast and flirt with any man who comes along? That you do not intend on sullying the family name with your behavior?"

I looked beyond him. "Mother, perhaps you would be good enough to explain what your husband is going on about."

James grabbed my arm with his left hand and caught my chin with his right, forcing me to look at him. "I have warned you about being disrespectful, Mary Sutherland," he said, his tone sharp.

"James!" Mother exclaimed, her tone horrified. Finally, some semblance of compassion.

Some instinct in me forced me to be absolutely still. "I'm sorry," I said through gritted teeth. "I did not mean to be disrespectful. I just don't understand what you are talking about."

"I am talking about your friend Miss Carter playing matchmaker with you," James said, shoving me back a step. "Has everything your mother and I have done to protect you and shield you from mercenary men meant nothing? You wish to throw yourself at the first man, whoever he may be?"

My cheeks heated up, for isn't that what I had done with Hosmer? Hosmer, who had been the first man to give me attention and had been so sweet, who my mother and James claimed had never existed.

"It is my wish to be happily married, yes," I said, choosing my words with care. "Evangeline knows several eligible bachelors. If she wishes to play matchmaker and I meet my future husband, what harm has been done? You didn't imagine I would become a spinster and remain in my mother's house for the rest of my days, did you?"

James' eyes shifted. In an instant, I knew: he'd thought exactly that. The thought hurt more than it should have. I knew I couldn't be considered a beauty but I was handsome in my own way. I also had an inheritance. Why wouldn't I marry at some point?

"Miss Carter is a bad influence on you," James declared. He pointed a finger at me. "I forbid you from having anything to do with her. She is not welcome in this house."

"I'm sorry you disapprove of her," I said sincerely. "I will tell her she is not welcome here. However, I quite enjoy her company. We will meet elsewhere."

"Mary," James said, his tone lowering to the cold calm that signaled a warning. "There will be consequences if you disobey me."

And yet, he had threatened that so much, but nothing had happened. It had been a year since he had brought those horrible doctors with their talk of rest in an asylum. I had managed to avoid it thus far, though I knew very well that I was by no means clever.