Chapter Three

James didn't speak to me that evening, only glared at me. It may have been an attempt to intimidate me and make me realize he was still angry with me. Despite the tension, it was a relief not to have to argue with him again.

Again, I spent the evening in my room. Feeling alone, I began letters to the young ladies who'd always spoken kindly to me at school. We may not have been close, but any connection to someone outside my family was better than none.

It felt strange to pen the letters instead of typing them. By the time I set the pen down, I'd completed two letters, one to the Honorable Miss Rouillard and the other to Miss Elizabeth Stratten. Whether they responded or not, it had felt good to write of trivial matters and hope that whatever happened, someone would remember me if something terrible happened.

My sleep was unsettled that night, and I rose tired in the morning. Breakfast was just as quiet, though Mother tried valiantly to keep up a conversation. I, myself, spoke little, since I had to chose each word with care. Who knew what would be used against me?

James left for his office as I prepared for my own day. This time, Mother didn't try to stop me when I left. Because I was expecting it, I immediately saw my shadow was in place as I walked down the street.

Once again, I would not be able to visit Baker Street. If Mr. Holmes discovered some information and sent me a message, would it get past Mother and James? I spent the rest of my journey to the solicitor's office trying to think of any way to get in contact with Mr. Holmes.

While I was in the middle of my work, a thought hit me: What if Mother and James were conspiring to keep Hosmer from me? What if he had tried to send me a message, but James had decided Hosmer wasn't worthy of me.

Part of me wanted to dismiss the thought. After all, James had laughed about my going to the gasfitters ball and even told me Hosmer would return after I'd been left at the church. Mother had approved of Hosmer as well. Surely if they had a reason to be so set against him, they would have told me.

Instead, they claimed Hosmer didn't exist and that I made him up. The abrupt change in attitude was confusing and if I were honest, frightening. There was a conspiracy weaving its way around me, and I felt incapable of understanding it.

My head ached by the time I completed my typing. Instead of walking, I decided to take a hansom cab around London and go nowhere near Baker Street. Perhaps the reports from my shadow would annoy James and he would find it a waste of time.

I was a patient woman, and I was reasonably certain I could outwait my stepfather to get what I wanted.

What I didn't take into account was that James would get tired of waiting and take action himself.

Three days after the confrontation with James, I returned home from a rather long day of typing. Quick footsteps were my only warning before James appeared in the hallway. "And just where have you been?" he demanded as he strode up to me. "Your mother expected you home hours ago!"

"I don't know why," I said, taking a step back to get away from him. "I said at breakfast I would take a walk after I completed my work. I saw some lovely things in the shop windows. I'm tempted to purchase some of them tomorrow."

James' hand shot out and he caught my wrist. "We have company," he said, his voice firm. "You have kept them waiting."

He tried to pull me with him, but I dug in my heels. "Please let go of me," I said, forcing myself to be as calm as possible. "I am not a child who needs to be lead about."

After a moment, he let go, but annoyance was on his face. James gestured to the parlor, indicating I should go in front of him. Head held high, I walked into the room where my mother stood with two strange men.