Epilogue

It was two years later when I saw it: The Final Problem published in The Strand. In it, Dr. Watson detailed the last case Mr. Sherlock Holmes had taken on and had died in solving. It all had occurred in 1891, perhaps when Evangeline and I had sought the detective's help? Was that why he hadn't been there when we'd called?

"I don't know why you're so upset," Jasper said as he leaned down to kiss my cheek. "Didn't he abandon you to your stepfather?"

"That doesn't make him any less a great detective," I said defensively. I brushed a tear from my cheek. "And it's disheartening to think the criminals of London will not have such a man to fear anymore."

It had been Evangeline, naturally, who had encouraged me to read the stories after my own adventure ended. Her reasoning that it would help me understand the man, and didn't I enjoy reading anyway? Why not enjoy the cases that delighted the rest of society?

And I had enjoyed them. I think I became a little more observant afterwards, though no doubt it was a sorry attempt. Still, it had been enjoyable to discuss the stories with the other lodgers at the boarding house I moved into.

As it happened, I wasn't at the boarding house long. A certain gentleman had called on me and requested the honor of my company for dinner.

"I've seen men in the street with black bands on their arms all day," Jasper Irdale grumbled as he sat on the settee next to me. "They can't all have known the man."

"Well, if you think about it, we do have Mr. Holmes to thank for bringing us together," I said, smiling at my husband. I set the magazine aside. "If I hadn't gone to him, I wouldn't have ended up going to my solicitor. Dr. Watson wouldn't have written the story and I wouldn't have been upset or attacked when you were near."

"That seems a generous view of the matter," Jasper said, lacing his fingers with mine. He squeezed affectionately. "Any number of things could have prevented or encouraged our meeting."

Sighing, I shook my head. "In any event, it is still sad that he is gone now."

I expected Jasper to protest that I hardly knew the man, only meeting him the one time. "I suppose I should keep you away from all newspapers then if you're going to get sad about unfortunate things occurring," he said with a sigh.

"As if you'd even try!"

"No," he agreed with a chuckle. "You would only tell Evangeline, who would then join you in berating me for being a misogynist prig."

With a giggle, I leaned over to kiss his cheek. "Then we shall all be glad it did not come to that and be done with the matter." To encourage him to change the subject, I shifted to kiss him properly.

"My dear, we are expected at Alfred and Evangeline's for dinner in an hour," Jasper said, drawing his watch out to check the time. "You cannot tell me you're ready to leave now."

"And if I am? What will you say then?" I asked coyly.

"Mary, don't tempt me," he warned me as his arm tightened around my waist.

Smiling, I rested my head against his shoulder. Though I knew I ought to get ready for the dinner, I was content to remain where I was. Finally, I had a happy home and family to rely on.

Since I left my mother's home, I had only seen my mother a few times. She would be polite, utter words of disappointment at my marriage, and then try to tell me all about how poor James was suffering. This too would be blamed on me.

And, I suppose on the surface, it was my fault. Mr. Irdale's threat of having James' business ventures investigated had not been an idle one. It didn't come to any surprise that there were some aspects not quite legal. I never bothered to learn the details, but James was sued for fraud.

He was sentenced to several years in prison. I wasn't sure whether it would only make him worse. My mother, of course, took the news badly, especially when she learned there was hardly anything left from the sale of my father's business and she had nothing. I used my inheritance to provide for her, though I never had a word of thanks for my trouble.

"You do realize the longer you sit here, the later we will be," Jasper said, getting my attention. "I understand you find my embrace warm when it is so cold outside, but we do have somewhere to be."

I wrinkled my nose at the thought of going out into the December wind and cold. "I suppose you're right," I said reluctantly.

When I moved to stand up, however, Jasper caught my waist and pulled me onto his lap. He claimed my lips and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

I never would have guessed that I would be so fortunate to have a loving, if a bit stern, husband and dear friends. It made everything that had happened to me absolutely worth it.