Prologue: The Legend of the Phoenix

Once upon a time, there was a mighty kingdom called Nera. It was ruled by a just king and a kind hearted queen who were beloved by all their people. One day, the queen fell deathly ill. The king called for medics and healers from all over the land to come to her aid, but despite his best efforts, no one could find a cure. But the king refused to give up. He spent hours searching through old scrolls and books, trying to find some way to save his dear wife, until one day, he thought he had found the answer.

An ancient text containing a legend about the phoenix, the most powerful creature in existence. The legend said that a single feather from the magical bird could cure any disease and heal any wound. Some even claimed that they could grant wishes when combined with the right items.

Immediately, the king issued a quest to find the phoenix and offered a large reward for anyone who could bring back a feather to cure the queen.

Dozens of parties set out in search of the fabled bird, but only one proved successful. A mysterious hunter who was known throughout the land for his heroics and amazing skill. It was said that any arrow he shot would finds its mark, regardless of the direction he shot it. No one knew his name, in fact very little was known about him. The only thing people did know? He never missed.

But, his loyalty proved to be deceitful, and his heart corrupt, for when he found the phoenix, he killed it and set off with the feathers for himself. By the time the royal guards had caught up with the thief, all the feathers were gone. All but one. They captured the hunter and dragged him back to the palace, throwing him into the dungeon where he would await punishment for his crimes. They took the last feather and rushed it to the queen, but they were too late. The queen was dead.

Consumed by grief and rage, the king had the hunter executed. As for what happened with the feather? Determined not to let something like this happen again, the king used the feather to make a wish. He found a powerful sorceress, one capable of casting the sacred spell, and used the feather to summon a being that would protect his kingdom and loved ones for all of eternity.

While the magic of the phoenix is not understood, nor exact, the king managed to summon a being with the power to see into a person's soul. This being, the Seer as it was called, was connected to the phoenix, and as long as the king had possession of the arrow that was used to kill the bird, the Seer would stay with him and serve his people.

Though that king is long dead now, the Seer remains, carrying out his duty to this day and watching over the people of Nera. His arrow is passed down from king to king, and with it, the responsibility to protect the kingdom and bring honor to the mighty ruler who first brought the Seer to this world.