Chapter Six: Strengths and Weaknesses

~Nick's POV~

As the captain and Thompson got closer, I pretended to notice them approaching and saluted.

"At ease, Shootzkie." The captain said. I relaxed and turned towards the two, putting on what I hoped was a casual and believably curious expression.

"Good afternoon sir, is anything wrong?"

The captain gave a sideways glance at Thompson. "No, everything is fine, I'm just here to check on something Thompson reported."

I nodded thoughtfully. "Did Paul tell you about the scheduling shift?"

"Yes, very kind of you Shootzkie. Paul wanted to thank you again."

"It's no problem at all," I said truthfully, "I'm just helping out a friend."

"Yes, speaking of friend," Thompson said, looking at me smugly, "where'd that little clown friend of yours sneak off to?"

I resisted the urge to glare at him.

"Jon just stopped by to say hello and see if I needed any company. He was just doing his job, is there a problem with that?" I directed my statement to the captain and my question to Thompson. Thompson opened his mouth to reply, but the captain beat him to it.

"No, no problem at all, at least nothing of your concern, I'll just have to inform Mr. Bailey of this as he asked everyone to tell him if any of his staff misbehaved..."

My heart sunk in sympathy with the jester. "Of course." I said, trying to seem nonchalant.

The captain turned to Thompson. "Thank you, Thompson, you are dismissed."

Thompson looked taken aback for a moment. "What, but sir-"

"You may go. I would like to talk to Shootzkie here in private for a moment."

Thompson looked like he wanted to argue, but held himself back. He bowed stiffly to the captain and shot me a quick look as if this were my fault then turned away, the sharp tap of his footsteps slowly fading. I released a breath and relaxed before turning to the captain.

"Everything alright there?" He asked.

"Yes, of course, Thompson just... rubs me the wrong way." I muttered. The captain chuckled.

"Bold of you to speak that way about a superior officer, especially in front of your captain."

"Oh, no, I- I'm sorry!" I said quickly, trying to take back my statement. "I didn't mean it like that, I would never, I just-"

The captain stopped my rushed apology as he broke out into a hearty laugh. "Oh, don't worry, Shootzkie, I'm just giving you a hard time! You're entitled to your opinions." He slapped my back, sending me stumbling forward at the force. "And honestly," he said, lowering his voice, "I agree with you. Thompson is an especially... proud man and that leads to him being rather unpleasant at times, understand what I'm saying?" The captain winked at me and I smiled, relieved by his easygoing attitude.

"Heh heh, yeah, I suppose so." I rubbed the back of my head warily. I tried not to glance at the door behind me, not wanting to draw the captain's attention to it. I felt like Jon was going to burst out at any second and then we'd both be sunk. I need to get the captain away from here as soon as possible, I thought. "Was there something you wanted to talk to me about, sir?"

"Ah, yes, nothing to worry about, I simply wanted to make sure everything was alright here."

"Of course it is, why wouldn't it be?" I asked, knitting my brows as I immediately assumed the worst. Shoot, he knows, he knows, he totally knows! Ignoring my very unhelpful thoughts, I remained calm. The captain turned away and casually examined a painting in the hall.

"Well, when Paul told me he had asked you to cover his shift I was a tad concerned as this task requires a knight with special authorization, authorization that you do not currently hold at your status."

SHOOT! This is bad, this is really bad! I should have asked Paul more questions, ugh, of course I don't have the authority for one of Paul's jobs! Why would he ask me? What in the hells am I guarding that needs such a high level of authority for protection? It must be either really valuable or really dangerous. Oh my gosh, JON'S STILL IN THERE!!! What if the thing I'm guarding is lethal? What if he's already dead?!? No, no, relax Nick , don't be ridiculous, they wouldn't keep a deranged criminal in the west wing, they'd put them in the dungeon! I'm sure Jon's fine, you're overreacting... right? Ugh, that doesn't matter right now, you've got to play it cool, don't let the captain see you panicking!

"Oh, I wasn't aware. I can leave if you would like?" I said, cringing as I mentally facepalmed and continued my rant. You idiot! What if he says yes, you've just left Jon trapped in a room with something that is potentially dangerous! Great going, Shootzkie!

The captain dismissed me with a wave of his hand. "Oh, no, I believe it's fine. Besides, Paul has already left and I don't want to go through the trouble of finding someone to replace you."

I sighed in relief. "O-of course."

Leaving the painting, the captain walked next to me. At first I thought he was going to open the door, but instead he stopped at a window and just stared out of it, as if he were looking for something. We stayed like this for a good five minutes, my gaze flickering between him and the door, before I finally spoke up.

"Um, sir-?"

"He's right you know." The captain whispered.

"Pardon?" I asked, leaning in so as to hear him better. He stayed silent for a minute longer then, just as I was beginning to think I had imagined his voice, he spoke again.

"As much as I hate to say it, Thompson is right."

"What do you mean? Right about what?"

Instead of answering, the captain turned to me and looked me over. "You're a good knight, Shootzkie. You've got a strong sense of justice, a brave spirit, and a big heart. Those are some of your greatest strengths."

"Thank you sir, but I-"

"But," the captain held up his hand, "if a person isn't careful, it's quite easy for their strengths to turn into their weaknesses."

I squeezed my fists nervously. "Sir, why are you telling me this?"

The captain sighed. "The jester, Jonah, he-"

"Jon." I corrected him, my eyes growing concerned.

"Right, Jon... he's a nice boy but for whatever reason he has a hard time following the rules and this often lands him in trouble. He has his strengths and weaknesses, just like any of us, however, his may end up being dangerous if he does not control them. He says things without realizing the power his words carry... one day, that is going to get him into a situation that he won't be able to joke his way out of." The captain looked directly at me and his black eyes carried a warning. "When that day comes, it would be wise if you make sure you are not the one protecting him at the time."

I opened my mouth to protest, but the captain waved his hand, silencing me.

"Like I said, you're a good knight. You have a bright future and a big heart." He rested his hand on my shoulder before tapping my helmet lightly. "Just don't let it keep you from doing what you know is right up here." With that he gave me a tight smile and started walking away. I watched him, dumbfounded, as he called over his shoulder. "Don't get carried away by fanciful dreams and foolish ideas. Follow orders, trust your superiors, stay on track, and who knows?" He gazed back at me before he turned the corner and I could almost swear that I saw him smirk. "One day, you may just end up with Thompson reporting to you instead of the other way around."