Chapter Five: Quick Thinking

~Nick's POV~

"Careful Jon." I said as I placed my box down on a table in the storage room of the barracks.

"Don't worry Nick, I told you I've got this." He said confidently. Despite his reassurance, I couldn't help but hover nearby as he approached the high table and set the large box down. "See?" Jon smiled smugly at me then turned, banging his lute against the table.

"JON!" I shouted as the boxes teetered precariously on the edge of the table. I lunged towards the table, pushing the boxes back on before they could fall. Once I was sure they were steady, I turned to a nervous looking Jon.

"Heh heh... uh, nice reflexes?" He said hesitantly. I glared at him. The jester rubbed the back of his neck anxiously, making the bells on his hat jingle. I let out a shaky sigh.

"Jon...." For a second I thought about telling him off, but I couldn't bring myself to say a critical word against my best friend. "That was a close one." I said with a smile. Jon's nervous smile brightened in relief as he visabally relaxed.

"Yeah," he laughed, "good thing I have the best knight in all of Nera here with me."

I snorted. "Where? There's no one here except for us."

Jon rolled his eyes and leaned against the stone wall of the storeroom. "Oh come on, Nick, I've seen you fight with those axes," he said, gesturing to the diamond weapons that hung on each side of my waist; "you're unstoppable."

"What?! That's so untrue!" I said. "There are plenty of people who can beat me."

"Still, you could probably become a captain one day."

I scoffed at that. "No way, Jon. Besides, I'm not destined to be a captain, you know I'm just a regular guard."

"Yeah, but... haven't...haven't you ever thought about doing something bigger?"

I cocked an eyebrow at my friend, not understanding his question. "What do you mean?"

Jon hesitated, clearly uncomfortable about what he was saying. He bit his lip as he thought about how to phrase his next statement. "Well... it's just-"

"Hey guys, what's going on here?" A soft voice asked. I turned to face a young looking white haired man as he entered the storeroom. Like mine, his slim figure was covered in armor.

"Hello Paul." I greeted my fellow knight.

"Hi Nick, Jon." He nodded his head towards Jon who in return waved and offered Paul a little smile. "What are you guys doing in here?"

"Oh," I said, "we're just talking about-"

"Nick was just dropping off some supplies. I was helping." Jon quickly said. I glanced at him questiongly before turning back to Paul.

"Anyway... what are you doing here, Paul?"

Paul shuffled his feet and gave me a sheepish look. "Oh, well, actually, I was hoping to find you. You're off duty now, correct?"

I raised an eyebrow at the man. "Yes, why?"

"Well... I hate to ask you this, but would you mind covering my shift? You know I wouldn't ask unless it was important."

I creased my brow in worry. Paul was a nice guy. Being older than me, he had already been in the royal guard for six or so years by the time I was ready to join. Paul had helped me get used to castle life and had covered my mistakes while I was still learning. I owed Paul a lot, which was why I didn't hesitate to answer.