Chapter I

If I had one day left to live, I would probably spend it waiting for that one text to come through, because that is when it seems the time moves the slowest. Constantly looking at the clock and being surprised when it had only moved a couple seconds, barely a minute. Tapping my fingures together. I can't just sit here like this. This all started out as a thing I didnt really care about. Now here I am waiting and waiting for his name to pop up on my phone. What had I turned into?

*bing*

As if it's a reflex I snap open my phone. Of course, there it is. One word, three letters and yet my heart still skips a beat.

Zac: Hey

Me: Hey

I hesistate to hit send as if 'hey' is the wrong answer. Seconds pass.

Zac: What are you up to?

Me: Studying for Biology. You?

That was a lie. I havent even pulled open my binders yet and its been hours since I got home. This boy has my wrapped around his finger.

Zac: At the park with a couple people playing basketball.

Me: Sounds like fun. Who are you with?

He lives about 10 minutes away from me, although we go to the same school.

Zac: Drake, Andrew & Lucas

Me: Do you ever hang out with anyone besides them? Haha

He doesnt read the message as fast as he just did so I lock my phone and pull out my Biology book. I seriously need to study. I stare at the pages but fail to retain any of the information; my mind just keeps wandering. Even if Zac wasent a distraction there would still be something distracting me; I can never focus.

Zac: Do you ever do anything besides study?

I can almost hear the sarcasm in his voice.

Me: Yes I do

Zac: Like what?

Me: Hang out with Lucy and Zoey

I close my binder and just study the flash cards I made. I basically have them memorized.

Zac: Come to Andrew's party friday, live a little.

Me: I have a date with my Geometry text book, sorry!

Zac: Then don't go to the party. Lets go get frozen yogurt. That's your favorite, isnt it?

Me: I couldnt say no to frozen yogurt...

It's already 10 pm I really should get to bed, but I just want to keep texting him.

Zac: We'll go right when school gets out. I'll talk to you later, goodnight.

I lock my phone and head to sleep with thoughts of him stuck in my head.

Sitting in study hall I just went on memorizing the 144 theorms for Geometry. I have to go to the guidence office during lunch who knows what they want. Then walking into Geometry we had a test over the unit, which wasent that bad. I had Spanish next. Then English which Zac was in. Then Biology, which he was also in. Then lunch. Which is when I went to the guidence office. Thats when the truth started spilling.

"Hello, Charlotte." She gestures towards the chair ordering me to sit. I sit uncomfortably and don't say a word. "As you know I am your counselor for the next 4 years. I have reviewed your placement test results and other state tests and I have some concern." She says pulling out a file with my name written on it.

"I am in 2 honors classes, what are you concerned about?" I snap. She sighs and pulls open the placement testing.

"Your math and science were amazingly high, as you said those are your honors classes. Your first essay -the arguement paper- was exceptional, but the second essay that asked you to read the story and then write a response to, was weak and barley related to the story."

"Your point?" I ask slowly.

"This pattern has been going on since you started the state testing back in 3rd grade. Even in your English classes, you are told to read a story and you completely fail the test and the short essay with it. So I need you to answer me this. Are you just lazy and don't want to read? Or is there another reason?" She asks slowly and looks at me, you can see her curiousity exploading in her mind

"I can't read." I blurt. She cocks her head in confusion. "I mean I can, but I don't know what it means, I read things over and over but I can't keep my head in one place. I can never think straight and when I read a paragraph and you ask me what i just read, i couldnt tell you." She nods slowly.

"That exactly what I thought." She says leaning back in her chair. This time, I cock my head in confusion. How could she expect I -a 16 year old- couldnt read? "The patterns are consistent with Attention Deficit Disorder. I have arranged for you to go see a specialist in 10 minutes and they will determine for sure." Her words don't make any sense, they do, but they don't.

"You're saying that there is something wrong with me?"

"Not neccesarily. You should get going. The place is right down the street, just tell them your name and who sent you." She hands me a paper and walks me out the door. Before I can say anything she shuts the door and I head out of the school building.