Chapter 10: Woman with a Childlike Mind

Hannah swiped her hand across my cheek, white-hot pain shooting through my face.
"You son of a- you could've hurt her! Our Grace Wilson! You took her goddamn virginity and I never said you can do that!"
"First of all, she told me she wanted it gone, so she asked me to help her, and guess what? She loved it!"
"Well, fuck off, David. She's a damn child," argued Hannah.
"She's not a child! She's a thirty-year old woman!" I snapped.
"Maybe you don't know that even at 30, she has the mental capacity of a fourteen-year old. And you need to stop treating her like she needs fucking life support."
"This isn't about life; this is about me taking care of her and helping her cope with her problems.
I'm in love with her, Hannah!"
She sighed and continued, "All right. But if you break her heart, I'll break off your goddamn legs."

"She's always treated me like a five-year old. Honestly, I've been secretly seeing my real best friends, Jade and Carrlee."
Grace kept rubbing her bandaged hand gently.
"What happened to your hand?"
"Got in a fight with Hannah; don't ask 'cause it's a long story."
"Punched her?"
"In the jaw. I couldn't help myself.
The bitch was getting on my nerves."
She stared emotionlessly at me, then said, "David, don't hate me because my brain's wired differently."
I got up from the bed in disbelief.
"Hate you? What you did to Hannah was wrong, but, Grace, listen to me."
I held her arms and pushed a lock of her puffy hair behind her ear.
"I love you."
She replied with the same answer when I walked away to get a duffel bag, opening her drawers.
"What the hell are you doing?"
"You're moving in with me. Today. Right now."
She clicked her tongue.
"What am I supposed to do with the other stuff?"
"We'll come back and get the rest."
Grace smiled, walking to her bed.
Sitting down, she said, "Wanna know what I want, but I'm afraid of?"
"What is it?"
"Children," she told me.
"You want children?"
She nodded her head and replied, "Yes."
I smiled at the notion of her having a human being in her belly, rubbing it.
"Sounds like a really good idea."

After helping her unpack when we got to my apartment, Grace took a nap in the bed as I held her close.