Epilogue

Four years later
Jacob ran back and forth in the backyard, losing my friends, now his uncles, behind. Grace sat in a chair, breastfeeding our newborn daughter and smiling as Samuel tripped over his shoes as Sean rolled his eyes.
"I'm too old for this crap," he muttered, bending down and rubbing his back.
"You need a drink, Sean?"
"David, please. I don't need anything. But if you mean some water, that'll be great."
"Absolutely," I said, giving an okay sign.
"Thanks!"
My four-year old stumbled towards me, hugging my legs.
"Daddy, can I have a Popsicle?"
"Absolutely, I'll do that as soon as I'm done talking to your momma," I said.
"Now go play with Uncle Samuel, all right?"
"Okay!"
I smiled at my son then went to Grace, who was beaming at our newborn.
Standing over her, I asked, "How's my baby girl doin' over here?"
"Marlee's about to be done in just a sec," she answered, adjusting her position for Marlee to keep feeding.
"You can burp her when she's done."
I saw her dark head falling off Grace's breast.
"And I think she's done," my wife laughed, taking Marlee away from her chest and fixing her nursing bra.
She handed me my daughter as she also fixed her shirt. I placed Marlee against my collarbone, patting her back until multiple burps came from her.
"I'm so happy for the kids, Grace.
Thank God for them and for you."
"I love you," she told me.
"I love you, too." Holding Marlee gently, Grace's hand in mine, I knew today was the day I finally gained my happiness back.