Chapter 18: Repairing The Broken Rose

Kate threw a party to celebrate my new artwork: two figures, male and female, dancing in a scarlet area.
I combed my hair in a nice style to the left, my crisp new suit fresh and clean.
Kate, wearing a loose dove-white gown, asked me, "Is Grace coming?"
My hands were stuffed in my pockets when I answered, "I don't think so, Kate. I got in an argument with her a few days ago and she's moved with her sister."
I felt her warm hand rub my shoulder.
"Be positive, sweetie. She's gonna come back," she assured.
"I'm praying to God she will," I murmured.
The speakers played a lot of '80s songs like "Oh, Sherrie" by Steve Perry.
Pretty much a lot of classic songs.
Seeing the crowd split up, I saw her and I held back tears.
There she was, in a tight-fitting lavender satin dress with an attached amethyst necklace, stood Grace.
Her adorable headband stood out against everyone's normal dressings and she smiled.
I smiled back, but went outside to the parking lot.
The wide, empty blue sky was gorgeous as the sun was golden like usual.
I sat down on a bench when Grace caught up with me.
"Aren't you going to say 'hello'?" she teased.
"Hello," I said.
She sat down beside me, hands clasped together.
"David, I'm so sorry about Tuesday," she told me, her voice cracking.
"I didn't know how to respond; guess that was my stupid instincts to push you like that."
I stood up and said, "Don't apologize for it, babe. It was my fault that I had to tell you that if you wanted a normal life, why not ask your mom. You never told me she was dead."
Running her hand through her soft curls, she replied, "I wanted to wait for someone like Dani or Jade to say something."
"Well, Hannah seriously hates my fucking guts," I said.
"Oh, forget that bitch, David. She never felt like a best friend; she acted like my mom. Even though my mom was never cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs."
"What did you do to her?"
"I told her to go suck a dick," she chuckled.
"While I was at Dani's, I had a temporary job as a substitute librarian. I made a lot of money to the point where I finally got a car."
"What type?"
"A blue Toyota Land Cruiser," she said.
"Dani said trucks are better for tiny folk like me; I thought the same thing."
Sticking out my hand, I asked, "Wanna take a walk with me?"
"Sure."
She got up and slipped an arm through mine.
When we walked for a few minutes, I flat-out said, "Grace, I'm so sorry for telling you that."
We split up as I threw my arms out.
"Grace Michelle Wilson, I just want to admit that I am a hundred-percent, absolutely, positively, completely, madly, deeply, and truly in love with you! You are the best and most lovable person anyone will be lucky to meet and you better thank God that He made you the best way possible! You are witty, beautiful, intelligent, and kind, and I'm happy that the Lord has put you on this earth!"
She smiled and gave me the 'I love you' sign while water trickled down her face.
I responded with the same sign.
"I love you, Grace," I cried.
"I love you more," she said, jumping onto me, hugging me close.
That's when I knew our life began.