T W E N T Y - F I V E

~ Chapter 25 ~

"GOODNIGHT. THANKS AGAIN," I said before I closed the door.

Kabelo was already lying down on his side of the bed with his lamp off. After him leaving the dinner table, things got awkward between us, especially since, I heard him crying when I went to check up on him.

I sat on the edge of the bed---on my side---and sighed into my hands. I wanted to ask him what was wrong with him but I didn't want him to know that I knew he was crying in the bathroom.

After I thought about it for a moment, I finally decided to turn out my lamp and lie back on the bed. It was a bit warm even with the fan on so I pulled off my shirt and threw it to the floor. I wanted to take my shorts off as well but that probably would've been too awkward so I didn't.

I just stared up at the ceiling and watched the ceiling fan dance in the moonlight. I couldn't stop thinking about Kabelo crying and what he was telling his friend on the phone. I missed most of it but I heard him saying something about love.

But why would he cry talking about love? Was he just really happy that his parents were accepting? No, he wouldn't have gotten up from the table for that I don't think. Instead of wondering and wondering, which I did for an hour, by the way, I finally decided to turn over and tap his shoulder.

"Kabelo," I whispered. I then started to shake him. "Kabelo."

He sniffled and then said, "What?" It didn't sound like he was really sleeping.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just trying to sleep." He turned to me and then wiped his face. "Why are you still up? I thought you were sleeping."

I chuckled. "I thought you were sleeping so why are you still up?"

Even in the dark with barely any light, I could see him narrowing his eyes at me. "I asked you first."

"Well, I was-" I was trying to think of a lie but my brain was too tired to function so I just told the truth. "I was thinking about you."

"Me? Why?"

"Because I heard you crying."

"Oh."

It was silent for a moment. All there was was the relaxing sound of the fan spinning round and round. "So why were you...crying?"

"It's dumb. I'll get over it. Night okay?"

He tried to turn away from me but I grabbed his shoulder and held him still. "Don't turn your back on me. It isn't dumb and I want to know because I care." I scooted closer to him. "So tell me...please."

"Just know that it's another Jace situation. Loving someone who won't love me back."

"Your parents?"

"No. I'm in love with someone who will never see me the way I see them and it hurts because the more I speak to that person, the closer I become and the more hurt I'll be in the long run. I just-" a tear slipped down his cheek and he kept repeating the I just, over and over again.

It was getting hard for him to speak.

I shushed him and pulled him in close and I held him to my chest. I could feel his tears burning my chest as I rested my head on his. I was rubbing his back gently and whispering that everything was going to be okay and that I was there for him, always.

It wasn't until the morning, when he stopped crying. That I realized that I never released him from my arms.