23

𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐂𝐊 𝐓𝐎𝐆𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑
its just us now

ISABELLE SAT WITH her back to a wall, facing Jack who was asleep

ISABELLE SAT WITH her back to a wall, facing Jack who was asleep. Beth had her head on his shoulder while Sophia had her head rested on his lap, both girls dead asleep. Behind them, at a window, sat Claire who was cleaning her hunter knife. She was peaking out a small part of the window that wasn't boarded up, looking for any wandering walkers or people.

"Here." Daryl grunted out as he held out a can of peaches in front of her face. She delicately grabbed it from his hold, and since it was already open, she starter shoveling it in her mouth. She moaned in delight. This was the first thing they've had to eat for three days now. "Good, huh?" He sat down beside her, shoveling his can of peaches into his mouth, as well.

Izzy humorlessly chuckled. "I was never a fan of peaches before, but when you're starving, anything tastes good."

He chuckled, too. "I didn't like peaches either."

They sat in a silence before Izzy let out a breath she didn't know she was holding in, and placed her now empty can on the floor. "Do you think we'll find the others?" Her voice was hushed as she looked at Jack, Beth, and Sophia.

Daryl shrugged. "Maybe. Maybe not."

Izzy nodded, knowing that the world was pretty damn big with very few people, so their likeliness of finding their people were very thin. For fucks sakes, she can't even find her own brothers or mother. "Yeah..."

"Maybe you should probably try and get some sleep," Daryl told her, glancing over at the side of her face.

Izzy turned her head to get a good look at him. "Is that your way of telling me that I look like shit."

Without missing a beat, he said, "yes."

They both burst out laughing, startling Claire who dropped her knife that she was still cleaning.

"Shh," Claire hissed, quickly looking out the window once more to see if their laughter got the attention of anything. She slumped in relief once nothing moved outside. "You're lucky your dumbasses didn't catch the attention of anything."

Izzy chuckled and nudged Daryl with her shoulder. "It looks like we're in trouble, dixon."

He snorted. "Ya, I think we are."

"Can you please be quiet?" A raspy voice spoke up which made Daryl and Izzy turn to Jack who was rubbing his eyes. "You almost woke up Beth and Sophia."

"Sorry." Izzy lightly smiled at him as he placed his jacket over Beth, and his flannel over Sophia, only leaving him in a white shirt.

"Here." Daryl grunted as Jack fell back asleep. Izzy turned her head as Daryl held out a blanket he had in his bag. "It's thin, but—"

"It's fine, Daryl," she interrupted him before grabbing the blanket from him. She them splayed it across both of their laps before she rested her head on his shoulder.

He tensed up, but once he saw the small, content smile on her face as she slowly fell asleep, he relaxed, and let a smile grace his lips. Even though their home got blown up and they were separated from the rest of the group, he was happy that she ended up with him. That she was safe with him. That she was sleeping beside him.

Slowly, he raised his left arm, the one she wasn't resting her head on, and delicately moved a strand of her dark luscious hair behind her ear.

Claire, who had saw the act, quickly looked away with a small smile on her face. She knew Izzy of all people deserved a happy ending.

THE NEXT MORNING, Izzy awoke to laying on a makeshift bed, a flannel wrapped around her shoulders, and a blanket splayed across her whole body. She groaned, back sore, and she sat up, stretching.

Her brown eyes glanced around the room, noting Claire curled up by the window, a blanket around her shoulders, her head resting against the wall in an uncomfortable position. Sophia had her head on Claire's legs — it looked like they must've been talking through the night. Beth and Jack were laying on the floor, her head on his chest, and his arms wrapped around her. The sight was adorable, but Izzy began to worry when she couldn't find Daryl.

She jumped in her spot as the door opened, but relaxed when Daryl Dixon's figure stepped through the door with bunny's and squirrels hanging over his shoulder.

Once his crystal blue eyes landed on her, his lips twitched up slightly before he help up the string that was attached to the small animals. "You hungry?"

Izzy chuckled and stood up. "I sure as hell am."

AFTER THEY HAD cooked the small animals, the kids still hadn't woken up yet, and the grownups allowed them to sleep just a little bit longer. After all, they've barely had any sleep since the fall of the prison.

"They're so good," Izzy moaned in delight, tilting her head back slightly to gaze up at the soft blue sky. When Daryl didn't say anything, she changed the subject. "The sky is very beautiful right now."

Daryl nodded, though, his eyes weren't on the sky, they were on her. "Yeah, beautiful..."

Daryl cleared his throat and looked away from her once she turned her gaze to him, a big smile on her face.

"Just imagine if everyday was like today," she commented, signing, biting her lip as she continued to stare at him.

Daryl turned his head back towards her and they held contact for a good minute. Izzy instinctively leaned forward, her dimples showing from how big her smile was.

Suddenly, their foreheads were touching and they didn't waver their eyes not even got a split second.

Daryl let out a breath be didn't know he was holding and took the first move, bringing their lips together. It was a light and hesitant kiss — it was mostly because he had never kissed someone before, but Izzy didn't mind. She smiled into the kiss and placed her hands on his chest, bringing herself closer to him.

Daryl slowly wrapped his arms around her waist, his eyes shut tightly as he enjoyed the kiss. He wanted her close and protected.

They broke apart just as the door opened to the house opened up, and the kids started piling outside.

They cleared their throats and took a gigantic step away from each other, their cheeks a bright pink.