Chapter Nine

It was a wonderful holiday for Alastriona, Dawn, Theo and Blaise, they even snuck out on New Years Eve and sat up in the Astronomy Tower, watching the stars and drinking butterbeer, they fell asleep on bean bags conjured by Dawn and spent the night together.

Despite loving the time they got to spend with each other, the school felt weirdly quiet and lonely without the usual hustle and bustle of all the other students around. It was even more odd when everyone came back from their Christmas holidays, it seemed everyone was waiting for more attacks, walking in large groups and peering around corners, not to mention totally avoiding Harry.

However, no attacks came, even Alastriona was a little surprised, but considering Darcy was finally starting to be herself again she wouldn't dig into it anymore than she had to.

A hand jolted down on Alastriona's shoulder and she squealed, spilling ink all over the letter to her Uncle Finn, "Merlin's beard!" She glared over her shoulder at Ernie Macmillan, "Ernie, what are you doing?"

He shrugged and stuffed his hands in his pockets, "Just making a point..." He waited for Alastriona to ask but she just crossed her arms across her chest and narrowed her eyes at him, "Everyone's dropping their guard! Harry and his monster could attack at any moment!"

Alastriona's mouth dropped open and her arms fell to her sides as she looked around her, "Ernie! We're in the Hufflepuff common room!" She looked at the packed room full of chatter, "I seriously doubt Salazar Slytherin's pet monster knows the tune of Helga Hufflepuff and can get through the barrels!" She stands up, looking up at Ernie, "Now you had better not be doing this to everyone! You leave people alone and leave Harry out of your crazy schemes!" Ernie rolled his eyes and turned around, Alastriona shook her head and looked across at Darcy who had a tiny smile on her face, "What're you smiling about?"

She shrugged a little, "Just that Ernie's been trying to spend a lot more time around you, especially since Justin's still in the hospital wing."

"Oh, you have got to be kidding me." Alastriona rolled her eyes, "Don't suggest what I think you're going to suggest, it's not possible, he and I yell at each other nearly every time we talk."

Darcy scoffed and waved her claims away, "That's only because of the attacks, otherwise you two would usually get along swimmingly. Maybe he's just feeling lonely because he doesn't have his best friend, or it could be that he sees you in a," she wiggled her eyebrows, "new light."

"Or he could be trying to get on my last nerve to see what I'll do." Alastriona shrugged, "My bet is it's the latter." She looked at the time, "I'm going to be late!" She quickly crammed her books into her bag and waved at the ink with her hand, "I'll fix this up when I get back. Bloody Ernie."

Alastriona headed down the corridor, putting her hair up and sticking her wand in it to hold it in place - a habit she now couldn't kick- and to the Potions room to find Professor Snape at his desk. "Sorry I'm late, Professor."

He looked up and made a small grunt of acknowledgement, "Did you walk here alone?" 

"Um... yes?" She couldn't tell if it was a trick question or not, considering no one was around her, she watched as he stood up and paced towards her.

"You are not to walk anywhere alone. Be with at least two other people at all times, understood?"

"Yes, Professor." Apparently the professors hadn't become as relaxed as the students had, she placed her books down at her station, "What am I working on tonight?"

Severus looked down at the little red-head, "The Wiggenweld Potion."

"What? But we already covered that last year and in our extra-"