Chapter 5

I was lost in thoughts gazing at the vast calm sea, juxtaposing my present state of mind.

“… major?” I hear a distant voice.

Realisation hits when I see StalkerRyan beside me, I fumble and manage to speak. “Uh, sorry what?”

“I asked you one hundred and one times already… What. Is. Your  major?”

“Stop being an ass it was just a routine visit to Planet Drool. It’s Life Science by the way.”

Silence hanging in the air I finally ask half mindedly, “and you?”

“Psychology. I then intend to serve…”

I zone out, consumed by memories of Papa. I hadn’t shed a single tear since the time I learnt about his death.  He was the best. Always fixed everything when I got into arguments with my parents.

I had no patience what so ever and he; he was the complete opposite. He was my therapist.

Seeing you in sorrow would only hurt the person you’re sad for even more. This had been drilled into my head when I was a kid and I lived by the mantra to this day.

Subconsciously I stood up and began walking. Looking straight ahead; moving at a steady pace. My vision was getting blur and I felt wetness on my cheeks. I had controlled the urge to cry for too long now. My tears wouldn’t stop, and honestly, I didn’t want them to. My heart had been heavy for a while and I needed to let go.

I screamed; just shouted my lungs out. My legs were shaky and I automatically lowered to my knees but before clashing with the sand I was held by my arms and raised to my feet. I was confident I wouldn’t collapse cz of the firm support I was given, not only to regain position but also for my mentally weak status.

I shoved my head in my hands as all of the memories I cherished of Papa flashed in front of me.

Being bullied in school for my weight was the last of my concern because I had my Papa. As he aged he became immature, a kid again.. just like I was. He was my best friend.

The times we collectively stole cookies from the cookie jar.  The day he thought me to ride my bicycle, and suffered a terrible backache cause he was bent the entire time protecting me from tumbling over. It was like it all happened just moments back. The trip down the memory lane harassed my brain and my head hurt. “Gosh Papa, where’d you go ?” I questioned weakly.   

My hands were replaced by someone else's. He cupped my face in his palms; stroked my cheeks with his thumb in an attempt to wipe away my tears. That’s when I looked up at him. “ Ryan… My Papa…” I trailed off my whisper and leaned into him sobbing again.

“Shuuu…  Everything’s gonna be alright. I’m right here, Zara. Don’t worry.” If his embrace wasn’t enough to comfort me, feeling the sincerity in those words was undoubtedly sufficient to comfort every living cell in my body.