𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 1: 𝐇𝗼𝐰 𝐖𝐞 𝐌𝐞𝐭

Date: January 23, 1990
Location: Detroit, MI

Date: January 23, 1990Location: Detroit, MI

What's hip hop?

That's the question I'm always asked. Been asked ever since I was a little girl looking at my older brother Malcom work the turntables.

Hip hop is life period.

It's experience, rhythm, flow, and honestly a harsh crowd...especially if you not black you get to much hate. Still, there are some rules to hip hop which is don't involve the family and personal shit into the mix.

That's the harsh part about dissin and rapping, some people will take it as far as calling your whole family out. And for that, I'm never going to rap in public anywhere ever. I prefer to rap in my bedroom, which I share with my older sister Kisha.

My cousin DeShaun's suppose to come over today to get something from Malcolm for some open mic contest this Saturday.

I heard a knock at the door so I got up from the couch and looked out of the peephole to see DeShaun outside so I opened the door just so I could be seen but not to invite him inside.

As I was looking at DeShaun I noticed a white boy behind him on my porch which made me instantly think "Who the hell is this white boy?" But I kept my thoughts to myself.

"You gon let me in, " DeShaun asked making me roll my eyes.

"Who you, " I asked the white boy behind DeShaun.

"I'm with DeShaun, " he said in a deepish voice causing me to laugh.

"I know that but who are you, " I asked as I looked at him suspiciously.

"Anika this Marshall remember, " DeShaun said which made me think for a minute until I did realize this the boy who came to my school and started rapping on top of a table.

"You the boy who was rapping on tables at my school, that shit was funny, " I said laughing while remembering what happened when he did come up to my school.

"Yeah, " Marshall said.

"Well wassup M&M you cool y'all can come in now, " I said as I let them inside and them shut my door so I can sit down and finish watching Different World.

As I sat down and continued watching tv I saw DeShaun walk to the back into Malcolm's room leaving Marshall in the living room with me.

"So why they call you M&M if you don't mind me asking, " I said curiously.

"You askin a lot right now, " Marshall said to me as I shrugged my shoulders.

"I don't care why you named after a candy product, " I asked.

"M&M stands for my initials, " Marshall said.

"Okay that's interesting I thought it was something else. So you trying to be big like the Beastie Boys?" I asked causing Marshall to chuckle.

"You listen to the Beastie Boys?" Marshall asked.

"You gotta fight for your right to party, " I sang loudly trying to mimic how the Beastie Boys sounded.

"You crazy, " Marshall said.

"So are you. You must really love rapping to be doing it regardless of what all them motherfuckers down at them underground battle be doing. All they do is talk shit about someone and I definitely know they talk shit about you since you stand out from the rest, " I said since I have some friends that be telling me what goes on at them underground rap battles, and contests.

"So how old are you, " I asked.

"18, why, " Marshall asked.

"Just trying to know who the hell I let in my house, " I said.

As I then looked at the tv and laughed since Ron said something stupid to Dawayne.

"How old are you, " Marshall asked me.

"16 why," I asked.

"Just trying to know who the hell let me in there house, " Marshall said making me laugh.

"Yeah alright, " I said.

"You got me surprised over here though, " Marshall said which made me look at him with curiosity.

"How is that, " I asked.

"Cause I didn't think black people like the Beastie Boys, " Marshall said.

"I guess we learned not to just assume what we don't like because our color today, " I said as I looked at Marshall who had some intriguing blue eyes. Bet he has all the girls swoon over him.

"Yo Anika thanks Marshall let's go, " DeShaun said as he came out if Malcolm's room finally.

"No problem, " I said as I got up to let him and Marshall out.

"Bye ugly, " DeShaun said as he hugged me and so I hit him.

"Bye baby Huey, " I teased him as he pushed my face playfully.

"Bye M&M's, " I said to Marshall and then shut the door quickly.

"Now back to looking at my future husband Dawayne Wayne." I said as I turned up the volume of the tv and continued to watch A Different World.

After a while, my oldest sister Kisha came inside the house with my little sisters Denise and Stacy.

"I'm hungry, " Stacy complained making me roll my eyes.

"Me too, Anika did you fix some food, " Denise asked me.

"Yeah there's some fried chicken, cornbread, and macaroni in the kitchen. " I said as I stopped watching tv to finish doing my homework.

"Can you heat it up, " Stacy asked me as I looked at her like she was crazy.

"Go ask Kisha I'm busy right now, " I said as I got back to working on my homework.

This is what I have to go through every day beside the weekend. My parents work all night and come home to us kids in the morning. I hate it too but I understand that there are a lot of us kids just under one roof so of course my parents have to work extra hours just to provide. My older brother he's I guess a Dj so whenever he's at party he gives most of his money to my mom for the bills.

The rest of us since we're still in school we can't necessarily work and our parents don't want us to work. They say they want us to have an education and try to go to college to get a good job. Probably as a teacher or something. But honestly, I don't know what I want to do with my life. I don't want a boring 9 to 5 job. I want more...more than what Detroit can provide honestly.