Chapter 5

Lou steps into her old apartment. It is old and torn. Everything is covered in dust. She spotted the poker table immediately. Memories are flowing back to her. They use to practice their tricks before going to casino. Debbie will tell her to do this and that. Lou would protest and they both will fight over who's trick is better. Sometime they will agree with one another but sometimes they are competing with each other. 'fun times.' Lou can't help but smile. She Keeps walking around and look through the drawers. Nothing special just some old clothes and ... a photo album. She ignores it and start packing.

With the help of some people she find next door, Lou manage to move the table down to her truck. "thanks for the tips, ma'am." The teenage boy said. She internally cursed that poor boy, when she walks away. She goes back and start packing Debbie's clothes. Lou tries to fold it carefully without getting the dust everywhere. But that didn't work. 'I need to wash all of this' she looks down. '...and myself too.' But there are so many clothes. Some need to be taken to the laundromat and some need to be dry cleaned. 'argh, why do I have take care of your shit.' She whines but she still did it anyways.

Lou stays here for a few more days. Mainly to do Debbie's laundry. But she wouldn't sleep inside the apartment because it is too dirty. Or maybe she is afraid to let her thoughts flow. Too many good memories always end up with a crying Lou. Finally, she is ready to go home. She takes a good look around the place. Now it is empty. A feeling that Lou starting to despise. She walks out and heading back to New York.

It's 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Lou unloads her truck and start texting Kevin.

Come over to my apartment, got a job for you.

What kind of job?

The kind that makes you rich.

OwO. Coming!

Poor innocent Kevin. Lou has no intention to pay him and let alone tip him. She starts moving Debbie's boxes inside. Thirty minutes later, Kevin shows up. 

"hello?" he peek inside the apartment and sees no one. He then feel someone is behind him. 

"move." Lou said with two boxes in her arm. 

"so just move stuff?" he ask. 

"yep. Just a table. Really." She points outside. Kevin step out and looks at the back of the truck. 

"you play poker?" he tries to move it by himself but its heavy. 

"used to." Lou steps in and give him a hand. 

"oh, your ex. I see." He said it with a smirk. She just ignore him.

They move the desk inside and a few more boxes too. "thanks." Lou stare at piles of boxes. 

"you're welcome. Boss. Now where's my money." Kevin holds out an empty hand. 

She takes out two checks from her bag. "here and one is for y/n." 

He looks at it confusingly as he walks out. Lou close and lock the door behind him. "oh, damn it. Boss." Kevin yelps because he realizes it's just a wage check.

Lou starts unboxing her stuff. Lot of clothes needs to be hang and some need to stuff into the drawers. She moves up and down a lot trying to put Debbie's belonging upstairs. Lou decided long time ago that she will keep a room for her. There was a wishful thinking that she will come back one day. But it is just a wishful thought.

9:12 pm

Lou orders a Chinese takeout and grab some beers before she unpacks again. She come along a photo album. She dares not to open it, but you probably guessed. She looks through it with a smile. They were so young and innocent, in a way. And they did so much together. Debbie will learn tricks from her brother then goes to Lou's house and teach her.

"you gotta try it." Debbie said. "it's not working!" Lou yells. They both roll their eyes when she tries to teach her.

Thoughts are echoing her mind once again. It's full of joy yet also full of emptiness. 'I need another beer for this.' Lou keeps drinking as she goes over the album. By half way, she already finishes all her beers. 'argh.' She whines to herself. 'this is going nowhere. I need more drinks.' She left her apartment and start heading to her club. She takes the subway but didn't realized it is already 3 o'clock in the morning.

Lou walks wobbly into the club. There is music on a loop. 'It's empty, again.' There's a sadness in her but soon interrupted by you. "Boss, are you okay?" you go to her in a hurry. She looks at you with a sign of relief.

"Jesus, how many times I have to say." Lou might have yelp a bit. "call me Lou!"

"Okay, Lou. Why don't you come sit over here and I'll get you some drinks?" you start walking away from her.

'wait, don't go.' she unintentionally hugs you from behind. She is fond of your small figures and you really smells good to her. 'It's good to have someone here.' Lou keeps you still but she is too shy to let her true voice out. So she jokes, "have I told you, you're really short?"

She can see you pause a bit and turn around. "do you wanna a drink or not?" You lift up one of her arms and carry her over.

"I want." Lou said it sheepishly. But, "no water."

"well then, here." Lou stare at the glass in front of her. It looks like water. But she told you no, so it can't be. Or so she tells herself.

"It's not just 'water'." you watch her as she tries to warp her head around this.

Lou shrug and take a sip. It does taste like water. Maybe it is, just a bit cold. 'I still like it.' she tells herself not realizing she is dork.

As she drinks, Lou listening to the song you have it on a loop.

If I only knew the words to say
That would make you turn around (turn around)
I would say the words to you
More than a million times
It's been forever but that hasn't changed
What you mean to me
And darling can't you see?

'Deb...' Lou whisper in her head.

"so where did you went?" you ask as her eyes darken.

"an old place... I shouldn't go there." As much as Lou tries to curse herself to hold it back, she starts to tear up.

"hey." you reach out to her hand. "it's okay. whatever happened, it's the past."

The warmth of you hand calm her down a bit. But Lou is afraid. She afraid that just like everyone else, you will leave her. "you wouldn't understand." she pulls away and scared to look at you.

"try me." you look at her with your chin up.

... "you want to know?" Lou doesn't remember the last time she opens up with someone. But she need this, it is too hard for her.

"yes." you answer confidently.

"then give me a beer, I can't do this sober." she looks at you with a pair of red blue eye.

"fine, here." she watches you as you pop opening a beer. You then, walk around the counter and sit next to her. Lou chucks her drink and wonder where should she start. 'her name, I guess.'