C H A P T E R 30

"Making a statement as usual?" River asked. I nodded my head and continued to stuff stuff inside my yellow Fjallraven Kanken backpack, "do you really need a box of cereal in your bag?"

"Will you stop with the questions. I'm still trying to process that you aren't coming with me to school and you leave in two in weeks. The questions don't help!" I snap at him. He holds up his hands in defense.

I rake my hand through my hair. God I'm a wreck. Today's the first day back and I'm already stressing. I pulled the box of cereal out of my bag and opened it might as well start stress eating now.

"Natalia your going to be fine as always. Your never nervous for school. Hell you rule that place as it is!"

I nod my head.

"I do don't I?" He nods his head. I continue to shove hand fulls of cereal in my mouth while nodding my head, "I'm leaving now. Bring me lunch?,"

"Maybe if you aren't late." I roll my eyes as he points to his watch as he held up his wrist.

Rolling my eyes I take the box with me Walk out the house and to my car.

I put my bag and my cereal box in the passengers seat as I pull out the driveway. My destination however is not school.

I pull up outside her house a few minutes later. Grabbing my phone I text her that I'm outside. She replies back with a really? and peaks her head outside. I opened my door and hop out, "let's go! River said he'd by us lunch if we were on time!" I yell over the hood of the car.

She scrunches up her nose and hold up a finger telling to give her a second. Jane goes back inside and comes back out with her bag in hand, "I didn't know you were gonna give me ride," she opens the passenger door.

She places my bag and box of cereal on the floor and slides in immediately placing on her seatbelt.

I let her settle before I continue on, "How else would I give you this?" I look behind her seat and out her back to school present. A purple Fjallraven Kanken backpack.

"Natalia, I cant take that."

I roll my eyes and shove it into her lap.

"You can and you will. It's a back to school present we're matching." I off the side of the road and we're headed off towards school.

"This backpack cost way to much. You should take it back and get your money back."

I shake my head,"No, I saw you eyeing it and I know you want it so keep it. It's really not a big deal," she shook her head, "Jane just take the bag," I laugh and she sighs.

We pulled up into the schools parking lot just as she finished transferring her stuff, "you can leave that in here," I point to her old bag. She nods her head and throws open her door only to look back at me when I don't do the same.

"What's wrong?" She closes the door.

"I don't think I'm ready to go back," I look out the window. Eyes already linger on her car that everyone knows far to well.

"Your the most fearless girl I know. Don't let one little incident get in the way of your tyranny."

I looked at her dead in the eye," Are you calling me a tyrant?"

She shrugs with a small smile on her face, "you know what they say about the shoe fitting."

I burst out laughing.

"Your a comedian," I roll my eyes, "let's go," Jane grabs my bag for me as I walked around my car to meet her in the back as she hands me my bag. I thanked her silently and looked around.

Everyone looked the same. The same fake tanned skin, bleach blonde hair, named brands like champion and Thrasher, and the same Victoria Secret bags. I smirked. The only thing I have in common with any of these wanna be's is my thrasher shirt.

I threw my arm around Jane's shoulder, "you know what, I have no clue what I was worried about. This school year is going to be like every other year. And like every other year whatever I think, say, or do is held high above any of these losers," I laugh, "let's go inside."

We walked inside my arm slug around her shoulder. People looked at us warily, "Natalia!" I heard a voice shriek from behind us. We had made it to our lockers that have been placed side by side this year. Jane un packs her bag while I turn around.

"Lindsey," she smiled at me taking off her sunglasses.

"Where did you disappear to?" Lindsey's normally curly hair is now strait, she wears a black spaghetti strapped top, red high waisted pants, and black vans.

She looked perfect as always, "Lindsey, great to see you as always!" I fake smiled and gave her a hug which she graciously squeezed me back

"Where have you been?! I've missed you!" She looks me up and down, "those pants are gorge though!"

"You know me always trying to make a statement," I opened my locker. Plain as always I sucked my teeth.

"Let me see your schedule. I'm sure we have class together," I pulled my schedule out of my bag. It's still in its envelope that it was shipped in. Lindsey opened the envelope with her perfectly manicured red nails.

I turned to look at Jane. Her eyes scanned her schedule. I smirked and snatched it from her, "What do we have here?" I asked laughing.

"Hey!" She reaches for the paper as I hold it away from her, "Natalia," she laughed then huffed crossing her arms giving up.

My eyes scanned across the paper. We have our four morning classes together, but not our three afternoon classes. I huffed, "that sucks, we only have our morning classes together," she snatched her paper back.

"How do you know you haven't even opened your schedule," I shrugged.

"I personally made mine. Special perks you get if your parents donate half a mil to them," I roll my eyes as hers widen.

"We have all our classes together as use," Lindsey hands me back my schedule, "I'm loving your Kanken, by the way."

I give her a curt smile.

"I like your Channel," I motioned to the purse laying on her shoulder.

"Thanks it's vintage," she smiled at me, "let's get to class," she linked arms with me.

"Go ahead save me a seat," I drop her arm. She looks back at me and nods her being joined by two other girls.

I walked over to Jane waiting for her to get her stuff. When she shuts her locker she seems surprised to see me still waiting for her, "Natalia. Jeezus you scared me," she held her hand to her heart.

"Of course I'm still her. Your stuck with me," I wink at her and she smiles.

"That's not such a bad thing is it?" We linked arms.

"I don't know. You can tell me when you find out."