Chapter 2

Virgil's POV

I couldn't pay attention during my students' presentations. Something was off; someone was off.  Emotions that weren't my own filled my head—sporadic and panicked. I looked around, hoping to find whoever it was.

Finally, my eyes landed on a sophomore named Alyssa. She had her chestnut hair covering her face as best she could, glancing around with fearful eyes.

Reading her thoughts, I found a mix of nonsense pleas.  I stood up slowly—calmly—and put on a gentle smile as I walked over to her. I crouched down in front of her.

Large, unnaturally colored turquoise eyes stared back at me.

She's a Paragon. If she loses it here... "Hey, everything's going to be okay. Why don't you go calm down in the hallway, hm?"

She nodded gently.

I led her out of the room, then turned around to all of the students that were staring at me. "Alright, mind your own business. We'll continue with presentations when I get back." I closed the door.

Alyssa had sat down against the wall, holding herself as she quietly sobbed and shook.

"Alyssa, everything's okay." I sat down next to her. I wanted to comfort her but wasn't sure how. A minute passed of silence before I sighed. "Ya' know, I have anxiety, too."

She looked up at me with teary eyes. She didn't try to speak, barely able to take a shaky breath.

I stared across the hall as to not stress her out more. "Yeah, you should have seen me in high school. I was emo and depressed. I had my fair share of panic attacks during class for various reasons." I glanced back at her, then away—casual. "I could give you some tips if you'd like."

Alyssa nodded.

I smiled.

———

The final bell rang and I watched as all of the students shuffled out, leaning back in my chair. I wasn't allowed to leave until 3:30 but had finished all of the work I was willing to do. I sighed, yawning and rubbing my eyes.

A knock sounded at the door.

My powers strained to read their mind, but I got nothing. Probably not a student then. "Yes?"

The door opened, and Roman stepped into the room.

"No. Whatever it is, no." I pretended like I had a lot of work to do, shuffling through papers that I'd already graded.

"Virgil."  His voice was kind but firm.

I furrowed my brows and looked up. Why so serious?

"I wanted to say that I saw what you did for Alyssa today. I think she really appreciated it."

"Yeah, well, I can't just let her have a panic attack in the middle of class, now can I?"

"Would you just take the compliment?" Roman snapped.

I smiled, knowing it would be a cold day in hell before I let such a comment affect me.  "Nope. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do."

He rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Just... know that I appreciate it, too."

———

It was late. I stared down at the city below that had no idea I was up there. I inched closer to the concrete edge of the building.

"Don't jump."

I turned, expecting to see Dwayne—a neighbor of mine. Instead, I was met with the super from Monday morning. I was tired, slightly delusional, and curious as to his answer, so I asked, "Why not?"