Chapter 8

*Flashbacks in bold*

JFK and crowd were synonymous. There was never a day the terminals were even half empty. Thousands of flights landed and took off every day from the busiest airport in America.

The Jet Airways flight from Kolkata had just landed when Shayan reached. He really had to push to reach there on time as it was peak rush hour and the traffic was insane. New Yorkers are always in a rush. He waited at the arrivals lounge for some time and drank some coffee meanwhile. He thought it would calm down his nerves a little, contrary to what science said about caffeine elevating heart rate. Bad decision.

He just could not shake off the dread. Shayan had absolutely no idea what he would say to him or how he would even face him. The last year has been harsh on all of them but particularly for his father-in-law, who had suffered a stroke just a few weeks after Geeta's accident. The lower half of his body has been paralyzed ever since. The trauma of almost losing his daughter took a major toll on his health.

As soon as they came into view, he saw Naveen in a wheelchair and Brinda walking beside him. He looked weaker than he had imagined. Maybe because of the long journey.

It was difficult to convince Naveen. It was only after a lot of insistence from Shayan and Brinda did he finally agree to come visit.

There was a feeling of heaviness in Shayan's heart. He didn't know why, but there was a voice inside his head telling him to call them, to meet her, just once.

*****

"You both have already started with your gossip?"

They laughed at his question, to which Shaila responded,

"Yeah of course. I'm meeting my friend after so long. Some gossip is essential."

"Actually. Without Shaila the whole neighbourhood seems empty."

The two women eventually drifted back to their conversation. It reminded him of the old times in Kolkata. Shayan was pleased to see his mother find a companion to spend her time with. Not that she did not make friends in New York, but with Brinda maashi she had a completely different camaraderie, which she clearly missed.

Naveen on the other hand, had spoken very little since he came. He did not like to talk much either way, but recently he had become a lot quieter than usual. His father-in-law was not a man who expressed a great deal of emotions, but as a father, he knew how much he had lost.

'12 December '06

Hey there beautiful. It's been a while since I've last written. Been a bit busy at office lately. We just launched a new software, and it's getting some great responses. Everyone is thrilled. Even at home things are looking hopeful.

Baba and pishi maa are here. Finally. I've been asking them to come by for so long, but you know baba. Convincing him and walking on a tightrope is kind of the same thing. Risky business. But I knew I had to accomplish this impossible feat somehow, and I did!

He has grown weak Geetu. Both physically and emotionally. I will take him to see you tomorrow. I'm not sure whether that will do him more harm than good, but it's he deserves it. As a father I can only imagine what he must be going through. If Pihu even gets a minor scratch I get scared. What must he go through? Knowing his daughter is hanging somewhere between life and death? I honestly don't know how to face him anymore. It fills me with guilt and pain.