Chapter 9

*Flashbacks in bold*

Hospital walls hear more prayers than any place of worship ever could. It's where faith and fear co-exist, so does sorrow and joy. On one hand there is death lurking around the corner, on the other there is life that brings new hope. Amidst all this, there is only one thing that links the fragile fragments of emotions. Memories.

Shayan lifted his eyes from the magazine and found a young man, possibly in his late twenties, sitting on the couch beside him. He was tapping his feet on the ground nervously. The waiting area where they were sitting was close to the pre-natal ward. It didn't take Shayan much long to put two and two together and figure what's the story.

"Is this your first baby?" he asked.

The man smiled at him.

"Yes. It's so nerve wrecking honestly. Your first time too?"

Shayan laughed in response. He dropped the magazine on his lap and crossed his legs.

"No. I have a ten-year-old daughter. But yes, I do remember what her birth was like. In fact I remember every single detail about that day."

"So what was it like? Becoming a father?"

The past twelve hours were the most confusing twelve hours in his life. There was anxiety, excitement, pain and all sorts of emotions that he could not comprehend.

Shayan had been by her side the whole time, comforting her, holding her hand, telling her 'It's going to be okay' from time to time. It was hard to tell who had cried more that day, Geeta or him. Despite opting for an all-natural delivery at first, Shayan had requested the doctors to give her pain medications or an epidural. Seeing her in the most excruciating pain ripped his heart apart. Nevertheless, he maintained his composure for her. To help her as much as he could. An inexplicable tide of different feelings overtook his senses for a while.

But every bit of emotion he felt was replaced by a single one in the matter of moments, when he took his daughter in his arms. Happiness.

"How are you feeling now?"

"I'm absolutely fine Shayan. This is the seventh time you asked me this in the last hour." She chuckled, happy.

Shayan leaned towards her and kissed her forehead. He took a seat beside her on the bed while she snuggled up to him. Falling in love with him was easy, but he made it even easier every passing day. Today, their relationship had found a new meaning, which redefined their love entirely.

Everybody had left after congratulating them and meeting the baby for the night and finally Shayan, Geeta and their little one were alone in the hospital room.

He gently picked her up from Geeta's arm and cradled her slowly, holding her close to his chest. It felt like the universe had given him the most beautiful gift one could ask for. In that very moment he had decided he would not let even the faintest ray of adversity touch his daughter. He will always protect her from all bad things, from outside and from within.

A little drop of tear rolled down the corner of his eyes as he stared at her little features, absorbing every single detail of her face as he described them to himself in his mind. His trance was only broken when Geeta's voice reached his ears.