Epilogue

"That which can't

Be touched has touched

And hugged the whole of my body – thus

If all of this must end, then let it go"

- Rabindranath Tagore [Geetanjali: Song Offerings]

November 2018

The crowd was growing larger and larger that afternoon. Maybe the backyard wasn't such a good idea, but what could anyone do if the guest of honor herself wanted the party to be at home?

Avoiding bumping into the guests, Jeremy stood beside him and whispered.

"Sir, I'm afraid I have some bad news." he turned around. "We are almost out of egg rolls."

The color from Shayan's face started to fade. Jeremy looked at him, nervous, waiting for a response from his boss impatiently. Who knew there would be a day where everyone would be so panic stricken over egg rolls?

"What? For real? Then go and buy some more Jeremy, you know how much she loves egg rolls. And how could they be finished before she's even here?"

"Well it is quite a crowd favorite sir. But don't you worry, I'll go get some more asap."

"Thank you." He breathed a sigh of relief as their faithful butler hurried to go out and get some more egg rolls. Jeremy to the rescue, as always. He'd been with them ever since they moved to New Jersey and not once did he disappoint. He was an excellent cook, as well as a dedicated housekeeper. And a friend of course, more to Shayan than anybody else.

"What is the deal with egg rolls? Why is everybody so obsessed with them?"

Maimoona turned around at his question. She furrowed her brows at him, while holding a plate with an egg roll. His face turned blank as he realized.

"And what do you have against them? What have these poor egg rolls ever done to you Shayan?"

"I mean, they aren't really anything special but the menu at our house would not be complete without them because you know how much she adores egg rolls. And now that we've run out of them, she's not going to be happy." He was almost out of breath as he finished the sentence.

Maimoona snickered as he ranted on.

"Shayan, stop fretting over such trivial stuff. Jeremy has gone to get more right? He will come back with more don't worry." She waived her hand in the air. "And there is no way on Earth Pihu will not be happy when her father has organized a party for her. So relax and enjoy. She'll be here any minute now."

He took her advice and tried to loosen up a bit. The weather was chilly, but not too cold. In the event it does get colder, he had planned on moving the party indoors. Shayan wanted to throw this party at a fancy hotel or restaurant, but Pihu insisted it took place in their backyard. She's been away from home so long, it only seemed fitting that her homecoming party be held there.

There was a little buzz of excitement as the doorbell rang, and Jeremy, who was now back with more egg rolls than he had ever seen in his entire life, opened it. Shayan eagerly looked towards the door. A few friends of hers, but no sign of Pihu. But his disappointment turned into delight when he felt a pair of hands wrapping themselves around him from the back. A smile spread across his face instantly.