TEN | Pressed to Meet Ya

I considered myself lucky. My grades were acceptable, honor-roll worthy (A's and B's). I was ambitious, too. I'd dreamed of working at the Gotham Gazette since middle school. I'd always seemed to have a knack for finding out plenty of secrets (sometimes test answers), and the gossip around school, like how Wendy something-or-other got a suspension because she got some marijuana from a girl twice her age who met with her under the bleachers.

I was a senior and I had been lucky enough to have earned an internship at the Gazette. I were pretty excited for this opportunity. It was a hassle convincing my mom, though. That incident with the Maniax has left a permanent stain on the Gazette's reputation and I knew that but they were broken up, either the members were killed or in jail. The one that honestly scared me the most wasn't even the one behind the works, Theo Galavan. It was that crazy lunatic Jerome Valeska. There was something so...so twisted with him that would just send shivers down my spine.

I popped out of bed and put on a knitted blouse in my favorite color with a matching scarf and grey/black dress pants. I looked around and found a singular high-heel shoe. Hmm... I thought to myself. Sure I've worn these shoes once or twice but I could probably wear these. I miraculously found the other shoe and slip them on. I put on mascara and a light shade of lipstick, nothing too bold or extreme. I wanted to make sure the first impression was a good one and outfits are everything. I grabbed my handbag and keys and walked towards the door of my apartment.

"Bye Mom!" I called out to my mom.

"Bye, sweetie. Don't stay out too late, and call me if you need anything!"

I smiled as I turn the doorknob and head out to the street to join other people traveling to their jobs.

I arrived at the Gazette, a tall brown building with a large couple of windows and stairs leading up to the doorway. I walked up and into the doors. The building was huge inside! I turned my head in every direction, soaking in my surroundings.

"Hey, kid!" A woman called out, breaking me out of my astonishment.

I looked to her.

"You lost?" She asked.

"I-uh...Well, I'm looking for the boss of this establishment," I said in response.

"Ah, well I'm the editor. Mrs. Dorset, Natalie Dorset," She held out her hand.

"Y/n L/n," I introduced, shaking her hand.

"So, what brings you here? Not to be rude but you look a little young to be working at an establishment like this," She asked as she lead me to the office of the boss.

"Oh, I was sent here on an internship for school. I attend Gotham High and I was fortunate enough that they had the opportunity available," I answered.

Mrs. Dorset nodded her head in response, comprehending my answer.

A minute passed and we arrived at the office. The name tag on the door read "Kyle Davis".

"Here we are! He'll see you in a moment, all you have to do is knock," Mrs. Dorset smiled.

I nervously raised my hand to the door and knocked on it three times. I heard a grumble before jumping when the door flew open.

"Ah! You must be the intern, Ms...L/n. Come on in," He lead you into the office with a clipboard in hand.

"So, having a good time at Gotham High School?" Mr. Davis asked, trying to push a conversation so we wouldn't fall into an awkward silence.