Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen:

Amber fought back a yawn nodding her head unenthusiastically as she continued to listen to the old man droning on. She wasn't sure how long she'd been listening to him talk but she was almost positive that it wasn't as long as she thought it had been, almost. Admittedly her interest had peaked when he began talking about his wife and kids as well as his several affairs but somewhere along the line, he'd just began complaining about all the work he does at his job and how he gets no recognition, immediately losing any interest Amber may have had in the conversation.

Stifling back another yawn she reached into her pocket pulling out her phone to check the time, it would be nearly one a.m. soon, she tapped her acrylic nails against the galaxy case. The man didn't seem to notice as she began flipping the phone over again and again in her hand drifting away in her own thoughts. Amber was pretty sure he was just on a drunken rant at this point and probably wouldn't notice if she slipped away. Smiling to herself at the thought she slid her phone into her back pocket as her eyes began scanning the living room wondering where the easiest escape would be.

Her eyes landed on Ivy making conversation with a small group of females across the way and found herself quickly wondering where Iris had disappeared to. She was getting better at telling the twins apart. Iris seemed to have a bit of a sparkle to her, or maybe that was just in Amber's imagination. Though she was pretty positive Iris had maybe just a slightly brighter smile than Ivy. Eager to figure out where the other twin had gotten off to she waved the man off mumbling something about having to talk to Ivy and quickly made her way over.

"Hey, I'm glad I found you." Ivy smiled as she noticed the tanned woman walking up to her. She reached into the pocket of her dino onesie, pulling out a phone with a bunny tail pop socket on the back, a phone Amber immediately recognized as Daniel's. Outstretching her hand she accepted the phone from Ivy as she continued speaking. "I found it in the kitchen, next to the cupcakes I think, but I haven't seen Daniel for a while now, so I don't know, maybe he left?"

"He wouldn't leave without me, I drove." Amber frowned looking down at the phone, she clicked it on, the battery life was still around sixty percent so she doubted he left it somewhere to charge but then quickly considered maybe he'd left it to charge and someone else moved it, but it wasn't like Daniel to set his phone down where he couldn't see it in a room full of people he didn't know. She contemplated the idea he might just have been so drunk that he lost it but he wasn't usually an excessive drinker.

"I can practically see the smoke coming out of both ears, Amber." Ivy laughed patting her on the shoulder quickly. "I'm sure he's fine just give it to him next time you see him okay?"

Amber nodded, forcing a bit of a smile before turning and walking away completely forgetting about her original intentions of asking where Iris was, suddenly far too worried about Daniel to be interested in anything else. It wasn't that she didn't think he could take care of himself more so that she really didn't trust just anyone around her best friend.

She wandered into the kitchen, hoping to somehow backtrack her friend's steps, her mind whirling about where he could have possibly gone and with who. She paused eyes scanning around the kitchen, searching out the least intoxicated person she could find, who just so happened to be a thin looking Indian girl picking at a cupcake in the corner, and quickly making her way over to her. The girl's eyebrows furrowed slightly as she noticed Amber's approach, a very clear sign she did not want to be bothered.

"Hey, quick question have you seen my friend Daniel?" Amber asked her anyways, ignoring the way she rolled her eyes towards the ceiling. "Short guy, dressed like a cow, redhead, lots of freckles?"

"Uhh, sounds like the guy Mike hit up earlier." She mumbled shrugging slightly before nodding her head in the direction of a rather lanky looking guy with a mop of brown hair pulling another drink from the fridge before shouting out to him. "Hey, Mike what happened to that guy from earlier?"