Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen:

She looked up as she heard the door unlock and swing open, she watched silently from her seat on the couch as Daniel stepped through and shut it behind him. He stopped in the entranceway pulling off his shoes, lining them neatly against the wall before turning. His eyes met with hers only briefly before he looked away and began walking towards his room. Amber watched as he crossed the space to his room shutting the door firmly behind him. She waited a few moments staring at the door but they didn't open and eventually, she shifted her gaze away.

It had only been three days since Halloween, three days since their fight and three days since Daniel and Kade apparently started dating. She'd found out from a text from Iris, a part of her wanted to be mad she had to find out from someone else but a bigger part of her knew why. She wasn't sure she regretted her words or actions, genuinely she just wanted the best for her friend and no matter how she rolled it she couldn't see that being Kade.

She was an outsider looking in, she had reminded herself that many many times before. she'd spent hours pacing back and forth that morning after Halloween trying to reprimand herself, desperately trying to tell herself she was wrong and even if she thought she did she knew nothing about Daniel and Kade's relationship but she couldn't. From every angle she looked at him he seemed shallow, he seemed arrogant and conceited. She didn't like the way he made Daniel doubt himself, she thought Daniel was way too forgiving of Kade, she knew deep down they weren't right together.

Daniel's bedroom door opened, prompting her to look back up at him as he made his way into the kitchen. He'd changed into casual wear, a baggy grey tee and black yoga pants and barefooted made his way over to the kitchen behind her. She heard shuffling but didn't bother to turn around and see what he was doing. Instead, she forced her attention back to her textbook, staring blankly at the pages that seemed to just sit there. This wasn't like them, just awkwardly existing within each other's space.

Amber knew this and she didn't like it by any means but she couldn't bring herself to take the steps to change it because she knew that step meant accepting Daniel's new relationship. By no means would she be letting go of her distaste for Kade, simply accepting her friend's decision and in truth that really shouldn't be so hard to do. She'd mentally walked herself through it so many times it almost felt like she'd already done it but not really. Not really at all because she knew it wouldn't be that simple for her.

"Uh, Amber?" She looked up shocked to find Daniel standing to her left, some sort of microwaved pastry in a napkin in his hand. He arched a brow at her as if he'd asked her a question and maybe he had, she wasn't even sure when he'd left the kitchen much less when the microwave had gone off. She stared at him blankly waiting for him to continue on. "Did you get Min's text?"

"What text?" Her brows scrunched together in confusion as she reached for her phone, casually laying on the coffee table only an arm's length away from her textbook. She unlocked the screen almost certain she'd gotten no such text, telling herself she hadn't been that deep in thought but she had. Not only had she missed one message from Min but five from every person in the group chat. The text from Min was brief, simply reading 'Thanksgiving headcount.' and each of the following text was just a brief each only putting 'Yes' in reply.

"I asked Kade about it, apparently they have a nice family home Joesph built a little north of here." Daniel sighed shifting slightly before quickly crossing his arms to hid his discomfort before rushing on. "It's a family thing and since we're family now we were invited."

"And what will we do when you two break up?" Amber remarked tossing her phone back on the coffee table, focusing her attention solely on Daniel. His mouth opened slightly then closed and set in a frown, eyes narrowing at her for a moment before turning away. "I was talking to you."

Amber could feel her teeth grinding in annoyance and before she could stop herself she stood, reaching out and grabbing Daniel's arm. He turned back to her smatching her hand off his arm before taking a step back to look at her. They stared daggers into one another and quickly Amber felt as if she as back at the Halloween party, silently arguing with her best friend. Finally, Daniel broke eye contact, bring his hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose, sighing heavily.

"What is wrong with you Amber? I mean what is wrong? I don't care that you don't like him you don't have to I do but you don't. All you have to do is not be a twat, why is that so hard for you?" Daniel asked, dropping his hand, folding his arms over his chest. "Just accept it's happened, I like him, he's not just a fling, we're dating. Kade and I are in a romanticly committed relationship whether you like it or not."

"He's just going to use and le-"

"Then let it happen." Daniel cut in, not interested in hearing Amber repeat what he'd heard so many times already, he shook his head slowly clearing his thoughts before he continued wanting to make sure what he said next was exactly what he meant. "I think this relationship has potential, I've never thought a relationship did. I get it you have doubts, shit I have doubts, Kade has so many doubts but I wanna see it through. I'm going to see it through just accept that."

He waited for a moment, searching his best friend's eyes for some sort of sign of understanding, unsure if he actually saw any he turned away returning to his room, the door shut firmly behind him as Amber watched. Eventually, she sat back down on the couch returning her gaze to her textbook just observing the way the text laid on the pages. She felt like she was staring for hours, she'd stared at it til the words didn't even seem like words anymore, just black ink on a white page.

A bit away she hears her phone ding, shocked she'd actually heard it this time she reaches for it. As she unlocks it, it dings again, signaling a second text had come in as she swipes open she sees they were both from the group chat, the first a reply from Daniel just like all the others simply stating 'Yes' and then directly under it was the second text. It was from Min and only said 'Amber?'