CHAPTER 7

IRENE

Let the world fall... We shall purge it of all... Let the ashes burn... We shall all return...

It wasn't anything new for Irene to feel trapped inside her mind's corner. The dreams she had were enough to bind her into tragedy for good. Her beloved dead, her father a rampaging maniac, and her companion—the Divine King whom she hated with the anger of a thousand suns...

Even now, it made little sense. Just what had she expected? A madwoman deserved it all. A madwoman who dared thought magic came without a price.

"The price we pay is never a price we own, Child."

The gentle whisper sent shivers down her spine. Irene whirled to face the newcomer. A form hooded in a dark purple cloak. Her gemstone holding the cloak in place—An emerald of unrivaled quality—shone down at Irene's face as if in mockery of her past self. As if she'd forget who this woman might be! Ha!

"Priestess, this is the last time you visit me."

"Then shouldn't we have a long talk." The cowl disappeared revealing a once beautiful caramel face, now withered with old age. "After all, you wouldn't dare greet your Holy Mother with a sullen face, would you?"

Holy Mother! Ha! Like this woman could be that person? The person who represented Kotahi Motuhake on earth. The one whose line was considered the Divine Line—one of whom was right beside her sleeping with magic seeped to hold his tongue.

"Well, Holy Mother. Why don't you sit down so we can talk?"

The sarcasm wasn't off a beat yet the gentle woman did exactly what Irene asked. The soothing lavender tendrils coming off her barely grazed Irene's mind. Recently violet was her color of choice anyways. Lavender wasn't off either.

At least her mind got it right this time.

Holy Mother, clad in black. Emerald shining through the dark. Lavender whispered her name in reverence. She who bore the Infinite's presence.

"So, what brings you here, Holy Mother?"

The woman cocked her head. Her brow raised as if she'd thought Irene had better manners. Well, think again! She was a madwoman. Madwomen didn't have manners. Tch!

"You used my spell, Child. Powerfully I might add. But..." The woman touched her head. "You still don't know believe you're sane in the head."

Irene nodded. No point in denying the truth. "Yep. I ain't sane, lady."

Holy Mother smirked. "That's a rather refreshing attitude. Anywho..." Her sigh only made Irene shiver inside her intestines more. "Your companion might not be the best of marketing tactics if you want to get help from the High Priestess."

"Yeah..." Irene sighed in response. Her body ached but her heart was too empty to consider rest. Nothing mattered. So, what if she died? It didn't matter. However, there was something keeping her mind occupied and her body vigil.

"You must put a stop to this, Child." Holy Mother's voice soothed. Irene felt prickling pain spring up in her heart's empty hole.

"I know."

"Those bastards don't deserve a single drop of consideration."

"I—I know."

Holy Mother smiled. "You're rather cooperative today."

Irene sighed. "I hate them so much." Her anger showed in presence. Violet smoke rose up to show the clear presence of anger and hatred. Violet rays... violet smoke... violet wisps...

"Kati!"

The smoke vanished replaced with a violet hue covering the darkness in neon haze. Irene shivered while her heart slowed to an even pace. Those bastards would pay. Temperance Methuselah would pay. And then...

"It's not your time, Dear." The woman sprang upright. "Show those bastards who's boss. Then you can rest in Hel's realms."

Irene looked into the older woman's glittering brown gaze. There was familiarity and power in those depths of hellish darkness. It calmed her nerves.

"Yeah."

Irene nodded before standing up herself. "No more wasting time." Taking the woman's open hand, she felt the power infuse her veins. The same power she had felt taking hold during the harrowing night past.

"I'll be greeting you at Hel's gates, Tamahine."

Shivers went down her spine when a divine violet light painted the darkness. Everything vanished while Irene only heard the chuckle of the female remain.

"Kick ass, Kid."

At last, she felt a smile light up her face. "I will, Matera." Her hands balled into fists of determination. "I promise."

__________________________

"Where are we going?"

It was a repeated question the King had every single time! Irene was getting sick of the kid's words so much so she had wished she could cut off his throat. However, it wasn't all. The kid's mannerisms, the kid's obedience, the kid's bullshit...

Irene was sick of it all...

"Shut up, or I'll stop your breathing for good."

The threat thankfully held because no other words came out of the boy's mouth until they reached a plateau with the Callelan flowing beside in murky green harmony. The lavender field.

"Stay here." Irene commanded before leaving to recharge her mana reserves within the confines of the harmonious beauty of nature all round. It was then she noticed the smallest of detail...

"Son of a bitch!"

Grabbing the boy king's arm, she pulled without restraint. Without warning, archers came out and Irene knowing what they were capable of, used the last of her strengths to conjure up her violet wisps.

"Kati!"

The world stopped but Irene and Ceres remained alive and well. In the quickest motion she could muster, she threw themselves into the depths of Callelan's sewage water. The spell didn't break. However, Irene heard the voice of evil whispering to her soul.

"You will die by my hands, Tomb Maiden. I will find you and I will kill you. No matter where you go... I swear it on my rotted blood bestowed by 'Your' God... I swear!"

Chilled to the bone yet unyielding, Irene forced herself and Ceres to dive into the deeper portions of the water. No matter what, this wasn't over. She wasn't over until she purged this plague of bastards destroying Crane's mortal realm. She wasn't over until she tasted the blood of Nahass on her lips just like that bitch sacrificed her family to the Evil bastard of Decaying Flesh!

"Rot in death, Yuhnu!" She jabbed before diving in deep.

Let the world fall... We will make it anew... Dawn will come for all... Words will ring true...