The Avatar State

Aya's POV

Aya's Dream

Ruka and Iroh hesitantly separated from another. Iroh watched his girlfriend run and he let out a small sigh before running the opposite way.

Ruka sprinted toward her tribe that was currently under attacked. Many members of the tribe were hiding, mainly females and small children, as the warriors fought off the Fire Navy warriors. Ruka herself was a warrior but she had bigger tasks to deal with, protecting her daughter.

"Kya!" Ruka called out as she reached the safety of her tribe and away from all the chaos. Inside one of the rooms, was a woman with two small children. One male and the smaller child was a female.

"Ruka. Oh my goodness, are you and Aya okay?" Kya frantically asked her close friend.

"Yes, we are but Iroh and I-" Ruka didn't get to finish because it caused her voice to crack.

"I'm so sorry, Ruka." Kya told her. "Hopefully in the future, you'll meet again."

Ruka silently nodded but this was interrupted by an explosion outside and Aya bursted our crying, along with the young girl that was with Kya. The older boy held his little sister close to protect her.

"Oh no." Ruka panicked and glanced at her crying baby. "Kya, I need you to protect Aya. I'm gonna go out there and try my best to hold them off."

"Ruka, you cant. You might not make it back and Aya won't get to see you again." Kya protested and Ruka shook her head.

"I'm a warrior, it's my job." Ruka countered and Kya was hesitant about her decision. "Please."

Kya glanced at her scared children and then at Aya. Aya was only two years younger then the female, named Katara, and three years younger then the boy, Sokka.

"Alright." Kya agreed and Ruka handed Aya to her.

"If you care about me, please don't tell her about any of this and keep her firebending a secret. She must not know until she is ready." Ruka explained to Kya. "Let her grow up with a normal childhood."

"I'll take her in as my own daughter." Kya remarked. "Because I think of her as my daughter."

Ruka gave the waterbender a soft smile. "Thank you, Kya. I'll always remember you."

"Good luck, Ruka." Kya told her. They shared a huge before Ruka pulled out two daggers, one red and the other was blue.

"When Aya is old enough, please give her my daggers. They are very special and Aya is special."

Kya nodded and took the daggers in her free hand.

"Bye, Kya. Bye Katara and Sokka." Ruka told the three of them.

Ruka gave them all one last look before she sprinted out. Aya continued to cry at the sight of her mother leaving and Kya cradled her close.

"It's okay, Aya. You will be fine." Kya assured her new daughter. "I will be your mother now. I may not be your biological mother, but I'm here for you and so will your siblings and father, Hakoda."

Outside, Ruka and the other warriors fought off the Fire Navy. It was a tough battle for the Water Tribe Warriors and they were close to prevailing but it was too much for Ruka and some of the warriors.

Ruka was overpowered and was captured, along with a few others.

Ruka silently cried as she was taken away and pleaded to the gods that her daughter will remain safe and sound without her.