Chapter 1

Once upon a time, in a magnificent manor near London, an ugly and kind little girl called Lily lived with her evil aunt Susan. When she was six years old, her parents died of tuberculosis and she was sent to her dad's sister house. Susan had two daughters and one son. The two sisters, Elizabeth and Helena were respectively eight and nine years old when Lily came to live with them. They were very beautiful but they were as villainous as their mother: they thought that Lily was their maid and she had to do all the chores in the manor. At the end of the day she was exhausted and she sat down in front of the fireplace, near the cinders. This is the reason why everyone called Lily "Cinderella". Nonetheless, Louis, Susan's youngest child, was different: he was generous and helpful. He was handsome, he had brown straight hair and his eyes always seemed to shine of joy. He was smaller than his cousin. While Susan's back was turned he helped Cinderella to do the dishes and to hang out the washing. He and his cousin were the same age, he would have liked to be friend with her but she didn't know how to lip-read.

Cinderella lived in her bubble owing to her deafness. She was not good-looking: she had warts on her nose, her hair was greasy and tangled and she was tall (when she would be adult she would be almost as tall as a man). Furthermore, she was hunchbacked by dint of scrubbing the floor. In contrast to her body, she had splendid blue eyes like Louis.