FOUR

[ READER POV ]

Lying on the hard mattress, I stared up at the ceiling above, my body shivering uncontrollably. All these memories began quickly flooding into my head as hot tears streamed down my cheeks.

After that tense encounter with who turned out to be my childhood best friend, all I could feel was pure guilt, which made my heart break. But I still didn't quite understand why he would want to take me captive over something like that, considering it was years ago.

I sighed quietly, sniffling as I slowly turned to my side, holding my knees up to my chest as I stared at the wall in front of me. I was instantly met with a quick dull but stabbing pain on the side of my head that I had just lied on. I quickly sat up, running my hands through my hair before I felt a tiny, metal object. Pulling it out of my hair, I noticed what it was, my eyes opening wide. A hair pin.

An idea popped into my head, both nervous and excited emotions running through my body as I swiftly hopped off of the creaking bed, shuffling over to the door. I stayed quiet to my best ability as I slowly stuck the hair pin in the door's lock, turning the knob with the opposite hand as I did so, hoping that it would unlock.

I let out a quiet gasp as I heard the click of the lock, making it apparent that my attempt had worked. I quickly slid the pin back into my hair before slowly opening the door a bit, my eyebrows furrowing at the loud creak. I took a peak outside of the room, only to be met with complete darkness besides the moonlight creeping through what seemed like blinds from a window. That being enough light for me to make out the place, I slowly stepped out of the room.

I scanned the new location; all I could see was a beaten down olive green couch, a white rug, and a scratched up wooden side table. I tip-toed my way towards a nearby window, keeping my eyes peeled for the man just incase he was somewhere around me. I returned my attention to the window, lifting up a single blind to peak out at the outside world. All I could see was trees for miles, the same kind of trees in the woods that I was checking out when the incident happened. This confused me quite a bit.

'Where the hell am I?' I wondered as I took a step back, looking around. The walls were wood along with the flooring, seeming to possibly be some sort of cabin.

I shrugged it off as I began to explore the building some more before I ended up in what I assumed was a kitchen. The lights were on, but it was so dimly lit that it might as well been off. Everything in my sight was dirty and partially destroyed, it really seemed like this whole place was abandoned.

"I see you've made your way around the place." A deep voice from behind me spoke, causing me to jump a bit as I turned to face the man who stood at the doorway, leaning up against the doorframe with a sly grin present on his face. Him.

"I-I uhh.. I was j-just um.." I mumbled shakily as I took a few steps back, avoiding eye contact to my best ability.

"I think we should talk, don't you think? I'm not going to hurt you.." He spoke again with that mocking laugh of his, cracking his neck in the process.

I watched him intently as he went over towards the table, sitting himself down and continuing to stare at me. Him being so close to me made my whole body tense up out of fear.

I leaned my body against the counter, clearing my throat out of nervous habit as I prepared to speak up once again.

"L-Listen.." I began, my eyes meeting his. "I d-don't know what you want from me.. B-But I am sorry for what I did to you.. It was immature of me but-" I stopped as I noticed his smile beginning to fade as a more saddened expression appeared on his face.

"But.. Toby, that was years ago. We were so young.." I tried to hold back the tears forming in my eyes as I thought about the friendship we used to have.

Reminiscing on the old memories once again, the tears began to stream down my cheeks. I quickly wiped them away with my sleeve, looking down at the ground.

I jumped at the sound of the chair moving against the tile floor as the man abruptly stood back up, standing right in front of me.

"You left me when I needed you the most, (Y/N). You watched me get beaten down and did nothing about it. My life went downhill because of you, but you don't care about that, do you? You got to live your perfect life while I was just left behind." He began to yell, anger being quite noticeable in his tone.

I looked back up at him, my (E/C) eyes meeting his watery, chocolate coloured ones. My heart sank seeing him so upset and my guilt began growing even worse.

'How could I do this to him? He was my best friend..'

"I want to protect you, (Y/N). I know what's going on with you." He blurted out suddenly, looking a bit nervous.

This confused me as I had no idea what he was talking about. It was quite strange that he had said this so suddenly.

"P-Protect me? What do you mean?" I asked him hesitantly, unsure if I even wanted to know what he mean't.

"Y-You're still with him.. I see how he treats you. I-I don't like to see you going through that.. he hurts you." He replied quietly, leaving me quite shocked.

"How— What?" I shook my head as I was at a loss for words at what he had just admitted to me. "Have you been watching me..?" I asked nervously, gaining a single nod from him.

'He was watching me? What else does he know?'

Toby wasn't wrong, Liam could be a bit aggressive at times, but it was only because of his alcohol problem. I just loved him too much to leave him, I could never do that.

"I know what it's like, (Y/N). You don't deserve that. If he really loved you, he wouldn't treat you like that." He spoke up after awhile of silence, his anger becoming very apparent once more.

"I-I don't know what you think you saw but.. Liam loves me, I know he does. And I love him. So please just let me go, I promise I won't tell a single soul about any of this." I was practically begging at this point, being so utterly desperate to get out of this place.

"I'm sorry, (Y/N). I can't let you go, I can't lose you again. I just got you back." He responded with a blank expression, before turning around and walking out of the room.

"Y-You can't d-do this to me.. I-I have a life! Family and friends–" I called out to him, stopping right when he was out of my sight. I stood there in the room, sobbing uncontrollably as my mind went wild.

Authors Note:
Hi everyone! I just wanted to make a quick note to thank everyone who has read my story. I work really hard to make it as good as I can and I really appreciate all the positive feedback. I've been on writers-block for too long so I kind of forced myself to write this, so sorry if it's not as good. I am still figuring out how I want to continue this as well. But thank you again! 💕💕

art © ijustwannahavefunn