8. Wishing (Misana)

The night sky was perfectly clear as Mina and Sana stood on the rooftop of their apartment one night. They were stargazing together. Sana loved to look at the stars whenever she was in the mood, and recently Mina had started to join her. Sana was just describing the stars of Cassiopeia to the younger girl when a shooting star suddenly passed overhead.

"Whoa... it's so beautiful," Mina breathed, her voice hushed in awe at the sight of the glittering trail streaking across the sky. From the corner of her eye, Sana gazed at Mina rather than the shooting star, feeling like she could describe Mina in the same way.

"Sattang, make a wish!"

"Hm... What should I wish for?" Sana asked, turning to face Mina fully.

The younger girl thought for a moment. "Make a wish that when you fall in love with someone, that person will love you back."

Sana bit her lower lip. Mina didn't know it, but Sana had already fallen in love with someone. Hesitating slightly, Sana amended Mina's suggestion and shouted into the night sky, "I wish the person I'm in love with would love me back!"

"Oh ho... so there IS someone," Mina teased.

Of course there was someone. Only a blind fool could have a beautiful roommate like Mina and not fall in love. But Sana's feelings for Mina were more than skin deep. Over the last two years since moving in with Mina, they had cultivated a friendship that was somehow deeper than anything Sana had ever known. They were always together, always supporting and encouraging each other through life's triumphs and downfalls. In Sana's darkest hours, Mina only needed to smile at her or hold her hand, and Sana felt like she had the strength to do anything.

Sana blushed under Mina's teasing gaze. "Yes, there's someone," she confirmed.

"In that case, you should make your wish using that person's name. It'll definitely come true if you do."

Sana shook her head, turning up to the sky to avoid Mina's eyes. "It's too scary... I can't say it out loud."

A warm hand enclosed Sana's, its presence encouraging Sana to be brave. "I'll be right here with you. How scary could it be?"

Sana turned back to Mina and fell into the warm depths of her brown eyes. She had a feeling that Mina knew. Sana had felt it over the last few weeks, a slow but perceptible deepening of their intimacy. There were suddenly touches between them that lingered too long to be platonic: a hand on her thigh, a caress on her cheek. There were now gazes that passed between them that burned too deeply to be anything but romantic, and Sana desperately wanted to attribute these changes to Mina falling in love with her too.

Mina slowly leaned her forehead against Sana's. The older girl could feel her heart racing now and she prayed that she wasn't misinterpreting Mina's actions or implications.

"I promise your wish will come true, Sattang," Mina whispered gently. "You just have to say it."

Sana took a deep breath and nodded slowly, keeping her eyes fixed on Mina's instead of on the stars above them.

"I wish... I wish Myoui Mina would fall in love with me."

Mina leaned in and kissed her. Sana shuddered under the first warm touch of Mina's lips, the surreal feeling of a dream coming true gripping her chest in that instant before slowly melting and giving way to a warmth and giddiness that rippled through Sana's body from head to toe. Sana closed her eyes and leaned into Mina's inviting lips, feeling how badly Mina had wanted this kiss as well.

Sana was unable to hide her glowing smile after they pulled apart from the kiss, as her gentle fingers began to caress Mina's face tenderly. "You didn't make a wish yet, Mittang."

Mina smiled back at Sana, a serene happiness in her gaze. "I don't need to make a wish. Everything I wanted just came true."