16. Sunshine (Sanayeon)

Sana knew how quickly life could change. She had seen it happen up close repeatedly, like the day she was scouted by JYPE or the day she was announced as a member of Twice. Sana knew that life could change quickly, and yet she was still surprised when the world turned its back on her in an instant.

It was a misunderstanding, a situation that was entirely not her fault, and yet the change was so sudden that Sana still couldn't wrap her head around it. Hate messages, ugly and endless, were flooding a post that was meant to be nostalgic and optimistic. Sana's hands trembled as she held her phone, unable to stomach another moment of the darkness that now clouded her world.

"You really shouldn't be looking at that," a voice next to her murmured. Sana turned and saw Nayeon gazing at her with concern, a light frown creasing the older girl's features.

They were lying on Sana's bed together. A short while ago, Sana had asked the others to give her space to deal with the onslaught of hate on her own, and somehow Nayeon had taken this as an invitation to follow her back to their shared bedroom.

Sana had really wanted to be left alone, but she hadn't complained when Nayeon climbed wordlessly into bed alongside her because it was Nayeon, and she knew Nayeon was looking out for her, like always. And now she was grateful that Nayeon was right there beside her, reaching over gently to take the phone out of Sana's hands. Nayeon set the device aside, her eyes never leaving Sana's.

"This hate wasn't meant for you," Nayeon murmured gently. She nudged Sana's shoulders and flashed a toothy grin that drew out the tiniest smile from Sana. But Sana's smile collapsed a moment later, unable to withstand the weight of the darkness.

"Why did this have to happen?" Sana mumbled, referring to the way her words were being twisted beyond recognition. "I know it's not my fault, but then why do I feel so bad about it?" Sana rolled onto her side and away from Nayeon, curling into a ball with her knees pulled up to her chest as though she could hide from the unprovoked hate in this smaller form. "It's not fair..."

"No, it's not fair," Nayeon agreed with a sympathetic smile. "But it won't be like this forever." Sana felt Nayeon's arms wrap around her, steady and reassuring, like an anchor to a light filled world. "Things will go back to normal in a few days, I promise. And I'll be right here with you until they do."

The world was dark and messy right now, but curled up into Nayeon's side, Sana realized that there was still light in her world. Mixed between the hate articles being written about her were Nayeon's warm fingers intertwined reassuringly with her own. And swirling amid the dark comments was unwavering sunshine in the form of Nayeon's bunny-toothed smile.

Over and over again as Sana cried throughout the next few days, Nayeon was always by her side as promised.

"I've got her," Nayeon told the other members when Sana burst into tears on stage at Show Champion, whisking Sana away for privacy while the others entertained the audience.

"Thanks," Sana sniffled. Nayeon gently wiped a tear away with her fingers and Sana gave her an apologetic smile. "But you don't have to keep taking care of me like this. I'll be fine..."

Nayeon laughed quietly, a hint of disbelief mingled with her amused reply. "Of course you'd be fine without me taking care of you. But I do it because I love it when you smile." Nayeon paused, eyes flicking upward to catch Sana's watery gaze. "And because I love being the reason why you smile."

Their eyes met briefly, a tangible affection ebbing between them just a little more deeply than usual. Sana ignored the extra twinge on her heart and said nothing else as Nayeon finished brushing away her tears, making sure Sana looked her best before they returned to the stage. And then Nayeon took Sana's hand and gently led her back into the spotlight with Sana's heart just that much lighter after Nayeon's kindness, and perhaps a little bit confused as well.

What did Nayeon's existence mean to her? Sana thought deeply about the answer with Nayeon curled up against her in bed that night, Nayeon's arm protectively wrapped around her again. The older girl had been unable to leave Sana's side all day after Sana's tearful outburst on stage, leading Nayeon to crawl into her bed to watch over her as they slept. Sana thought about the answer again the next night as well, her bed filled yet again with Nayeon, who had stayed by her side all throughout the encore stage on M Countdown.

Day after day, Nayeon stayed by Sana's side in the daytime and returned to Sana's bed each night without fail. And slowly, with Nayeon's warm aura encompassing her, the darkness gave way to light. And Sana would've been scared that her relationship with Nayeon was in danger of returning to the platonic friendship that it used to be now that the darkness was gone, except they both mutually understood that a new kind of darkness would appear if Nayeon ever left Sana's side.

"Sana, come!" Nayeon called out playfully, an outstretched hand beckoning to her. Sana smiled and bounced her way to Nayeon, giggling shyly as Nayeon slid their intertwined hands into her pocket.

"I think you and I are dating," Sana joked, because they might as well be dating with how easily and comfortably they stayed by each other's sides these days.

Nayeon squeezed Sana's hand tightly, her reply a bit more serious than Sana had expected. "It's good, right?"

Sana turned to look at Nayeon, an unspoken love blooming between them. She smiled and was rewarded by unwavering sunshine in the form of Nayeon's bunny-toothed smile.

"Yeah, it's good."