Chapter 7

Dedicated to : Emilybalanuis24 and bartxbae

Y'all fw this banner or no?

"Billie, what is something that doesn't scare you?" Diana asked with the click of her pen as she hovered it over her notepad as she waited for Billie to respond so she could write

"Billie, what is something that doesn't scare you?" Diana asked with the click of her pen as she hovered it over her notepad as she waited for Billie to respond so she could write. Billie gnawed on her bottom lip as she thought on an answer which didn't take long because in Billie's eyes the answer was simple.

"Inevitability" Billie's one word answer intrigued Diana, it was so simple and it made Diana think that Billie was the type to have it 'all figured out.'

"Elaborate" Diana asked as she began to write notes. "The inevitable doesn't scare me because if I already know it's going to happen, why worry? Why overthink? Why get anxiety? And feel all these other things if I know it's coming?" Billie said making a question pop into Diana's brain.

"Billie I noticed you've been hanging around Stokeley and Jahseh-"

"What does that have to do with anything?" Billie asked cutting her off coldly but still let Diana try to get to her point, "Do you consider them friends?" She asked and Billie's throat went dry. She cleared her throat and ran her tongue over her bottom lip before answering, "I .. I guess I do, I don't know" Diana was surprised by this response. Billie was the type to always know what to say and seeing her stumped made Diana surprised.

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"Jahseh and Stokeley can barely be in the same room together without arguing like little kids" Billie ranted as Diana noted. "And, I don't know how to get them to see that they're more alike than similar-"

"Let's get off the topic of them and focus more on you" Diana interrupted realizing that she wasn't going to get anywhere with Billie rambling off which Billie agreed to. Diana sat her notepad on her desk and shifted in her seat before asking Billie, "Have you finally told them?" Diana asked making Billie nod. Telling someone that lives in the same hospital as you that you have a mental illness and that's most likely crazy as you seems like a simple job.

Not for Billie.

Billie didn't want to accept the that she was mentally ill, even if they did thousands of examinations on her and all of them were true she still wanted to feel normal. She didn't wanna worry about the pills she had to take in order to function or if she didn't take them she'd have to worry about the horrible consequences that would follow suit. She loved to live in her mind even if it was a jumbled and split mess, it was her happy place.

"Billie.. what did you fear about telling them?"

"What?" Billie asked taken off guard by the question but still held her somewhat confident demeanor.

"I think you heard me Ms. Eilish, what were you afraid of if you did tell them? Or were you even afraid at all? What made you so adamant on keeping it a secret when they're just as mentally sick as you?" Billie's breathing started to quicken with each question that was thrown her way and Diana knew this. She knew that overwhelming her patients would get a rise out of them and how they'd most likely open up one way or another.

"I.. I" it was almost like Billie couldn't form a sentence because her hands were getting clammy and sweaty and all she wanted to do was leave but Diana wasn't going to let her leave without an answer. "Ms. Eilish-"

"Billie, my name is Billie" Billie corrected in a slightly angry tone meaning Diana was getting somewhere, "Why is it so hard for you to answer a simple question?" Diana asked challenging Billie.

"And why is it so hard for you to leave your smothering husband?" Billie fires back, getting angrier by the minute but Diana wasn't going to step down either. "Bringing my husband in this is low, I expected more from you" Diana said back slightly surprising Billie but she wouldn't let it show.

"Why do you expect anything from me anyway, or any of us for that matter we're just gonna disappoint you" Billie said referring to the other patients in the hospital, "And what makes you say that?" Diana asked. She knew that Billie was trying direct her attention towards anything else but Diana was going to gear the conversation on the right path soon.

"Because with every patient you attempt to save with all your questions and "getting to know us" it'll never stop our mental break, it'll never make the voices go away no matter how much medicine you shove down our throats it'll never stop the real thing from coming through" and with that, Billie left out of her office with another word. This time Diana let her go.

Stokeley was bouncing a small red ball against his room wall while his roommate, Calvin, talked to him about how his life was like before he came into the hospital.

"I had a little sister" Calvin said making Stokeley stop bouncing the ball and look up on the top bunk where his roommate sat with his legs dangling off the bed, "Had?" Stokeley questioned becoming genuinely starting to get interested. Calvin sighed as he began to tell his story.

"The night that the ambulance drove me here I apparently stabbed my 13 year old sister 10 times" Stokeley didn't really seemed phased by his story, he felt like he should be but he just.. wasn't. He knew that he should be offended or horrified or some type of empathetic emotion for the little girl but he didn't.

"You said apparently"

"Yeah"

"Explain nigga" Stokeley said causing Calvin to chuckle a little before continuing, "I got dissociative personality disorder" Stokeley was slightly taken back by his answer. He's lived in the same room with him, months on end, and they never had this conversation. "So who am I talking to now" Stokeley joked making Cal shake his head at his roommates response.

"You talking to me nigga, just plain Calvin, but when i'm off my medications... ain't no telling who you gone get. I wasn't Calvin when I-" Calvin cleared his throat since he didn't wanna cry in front of Stokeley, they were no where near friends so Stokeley wouldn't give him a shoulder to lean on. "When I did that fucked up shit to my sister that wasn't me but I regret it like it was" Calvin continued to explain while Stokeley stayed silent, listening.

Stokeley was intrigued by his roommates sick story and for the rest of the night the boys reminisced on they're old lives as if it was yesterday.