Chapter8

I wake up to the smell of something cooking. I slowly open my eyes to see rue frying up some berries and raw rabbit.

"Good morning." she says with a smile.

"Good morning, how long have you been up?" I ask.

"I got up a couple of hours ago." She replies.

She gets a 2 bowls made out of long grass that she must've weaved and puts the rabbit and berries into each.

She hands me a bowl and we devour our food.

"What do you want to do today?" she asks.

"Let's hunt." I say, I haven't really gotten any practice with a bow so here is my chance.

We each grab a backpack and fill it with canteens, some berries, those weird glasses, throwing knives and a bow and quiver of arrows.

Rue gets out of the cave first and starts walking towards the trees and I follow.

We hunted for 6 hours and caught 5 rabbit, 3 birds, and 4 fish.

It's already noon and we start to make our way back to our cave when we heard a noise.

*crack*

We stopped where we were and Rue readies her bow and I grab my knives.

We waited a minute and nothing, then we heard a yell followed by a canon.

Me and Rue frantically looked at each other.

It was really quiet, and to be honest if I could scream and run I would.

We decided to keep walking back to the cave.

"That was kinda scary." I say, walking by Rue.

"Yeah, but we could've taken who or whatever it was. No one can get passed our strength of friendship." She says with a smile.

"Haha yeah."

Then Rue stops where she is, and her smile slowly fades away.

I turn all the way around to see a boy, that I haven't seen yet it the games.

He has a bow ready and is pointing it at me. I quickly turn to look at Rue, she has an arrow sticking out of her lower right side back.

"Run." she whispers and falls to the ground.

"No! Rue!" I yell, as I drop down next to her while avoiding the arrow the boy shot.

I turn to look at the boy and ready my knives as I'm about to throw them one comes flying out of no where and hits him in the middle of his chest, he yells and he falls with canon.

I look up to see Clove in a tree and she jumps down in front of me.

"Clove, help! Can you help Rue?" I ask, not worrying about anything else.

She gets down to Rue and gently takes out the arrow and Rue whimpers.

"I don't think I can fix this, I'm sorry. The arrow went in to deep." Clove tells me, avoiding eye contact.

Clove steps to the side and I take her spot, Rue stares at me barley breathing.

"Rue, your going to be ok. I just want you to know you are the best friend I ever had..." I stop and wipe my eyes with the sleeve that's on my arm. "hehe your the only friend I had, you will and always. I want you to have this." I take off my mockingjay pin and pin it to her shirt.

She looks up at me and barley says,"Thank you Prim."

And with that the canon goes off.

Then the tears start to flow, and I quickly turn to clove and she holds out her arms.

She holds me in her arms and rocks me and says "Prim it's going to be ok."

Clove is like a big sister to me, and I've always wanted a big sister.

"Close your eyes and go to sleep." she tells me and sure enough I did.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Long update R.I.P Rue, what about gale you ask? you shall find out soon.