3

The next Friday, at Friday night dinner, Mom told Grandma a story about some party that all got killed by a butler or something and it was very random and kinda creepy. Then, me and Rory went in the kitchen to get soda, and Grandpa joined us and gave us chocolate too. "So, girls, how's it going at school?"

"It's pretty good." We answered nonchalantly. "It's a little crazy though."

"Ah, it's Senior Year. Preparing for college can be a daunting task. I remember when I was preparing for Yale, and I don't believe I sleep for the entire year."

"That bad, huh?"

"I didn't cut my hair for 2 months."

"Grandpa!" Rory said in mock indignation.

"Oh yes, it was quite the scandal."

"I'll bet." I nodded along, laughing inside.

"But in the end, it was all worth it. My years at Yale were absolutely the most gratifying ones of my life. Just the sheer freedom of knowing that anything I wanted to learn, I could learn it right there. Plus the history of the place, the heritage. My father went to Yale."

"We know." Rory responded casually, while I was listening intensely to everything he said. "Wow, I really hope I get into Yale." I said smiling.

"I also made wonderful friends there you know." We nodded. "Friends I still have today."

"That must be nice." Oh, poor, innocent little Rory.

"I'm actually going back there next week for a little reunion of the whiffenpoofs."

"You were a whiffenpoof?" I said at the same time Rory said, "I'm sorry - the what?"

"It's an a capella singing group I belonged to at Yale."

I nodded along. "It's a very famous singing group, Rory."

"It's like the beatles, but with better table manners." I laughed.

"I've never heard you sing. Have you Sierra?" I shook my head. "No, I don't believe that I have."

"Well, I'm no Perry Como, but my shower hasn't kicked me out yet. Anyway, a group of us are going to get together at the old alma mater and have a little dinner, swap some war stories."

"Sounds fun." Rory and I said simultaneously. Then the maid walked in crying, I felt really bad for her.

"You know, girls, you might want to come with me next week." My eyes lit up. "Come with you where?" I shook my head at her naivety. "To Yale."

"What?" Rory was really confused now. "Well, not the dinner, that would be boring, but you might enjoy seeing the school. Especially you, Sierra. And I could maybe even set up a meeting with the Dean for you."

"Oh my god, yes, yes a million times yes! That would be amazing, Grandpa. I don't know about Rory, but I would love to come."

"Your mother could come too. It'd be a fun little adventure. We could drive down, have a little roadside snack, get there about noon. Have a little tour, a meeting with the Dean for Sierra, then you girls could go off and have fun while the old folks have a somber little dinner. I think you'd love to see it. And I for one, would love to show the next generation of Gilmores my alma mater."

I looked at Rory and she smiled at me. "Well, sure Grandpa, that would be nice."

"Yes!" I wrapped my arms around Rory in thanks.

"Wonderful, oh I'm thrilled. Do you want to tell your mother or shall I?"

"You know what, we can tell her." Then we drank our soda and ate more chocolates.

After dinner, we told Mom about the visit and she was very pessimistic about it. She literally got out of the car and went to go talk to Grandpa, before I told her that I really wanted to go and Rory was just going to support me. But, she still thought we were being manipulated. Oh well, I don't mind either way.

Then, Yale day came around and spent hours trying to find an appropriate outfit. Eventually, I found a grey skater dress with a cropped black blazer and some heeled boots. Mom and Rory were arguing over what to pack and then moved on to fighting about Jess.

When we got to Yale, the grandparents first took us to an art gallery and then shared some stories of their early years of romance. It was kinda cute. They also kissed over a bin and then Grandma's button broke so she and Mom went to the bathroom to fix it.

Grandpa pointed out his favourite place to me and Rory, the Timothy Dwight Dining Hall. "I thought Campus food was supposed to be disgusting."

Grandpa looked aghast. "Not Yale food. They have the most delicious pot roast you've ever tasted."

"We love pot roast."

"Who doesn't love pot roast?" Grandpa joked.

"Vegetarians." He looked at me in confusion. "What?"

"Vegetarians don't love pot roast."

"Oh well, I suppose not. Are you having a good time?"

"We're having a great time, Grandpa."

"I'm glad. I'm really glad to show this to my two favourite granddaughters." We laughed. He then told us a story about Mom wanting to go to Yale when she was 10, and we could tell he was sad that it never happened. Then, Mom and Grandma came out of the bathroom and we continued our tour.

We walked into the Main Administration Building, where the Dean's office was. "This is the main administration building. Professors' offices, the Dean's office, some of the best scotch in the country can be found behind those doors. We walked over to the door of the Dean's office, where apparently Rory was having an interview. Oh great, my day once again overshadowed by Rory. She went in, and I could tell there was about to be an argument so I excused myself to go and find a cup of herbal tea to calm me down.