TWELVE (Iselen POV)

'My love... that's what she called me and it seemed to me she really meant it... I still can't believe it.' My mind is spinning while I place the dishes back in the cabinet after finishing lunch. Ruby has gone to her bedroom carrying Chance and Ru has followed her but Charlie prefers to sit down at my feet waiting for some food leftovers to fall on the floor, despite this dumb dog hates veggies and everything I cook in this house is vegan.

Actually, I don't quite understand what's happened. After her father set me up, Ruby's attitude has changed completely and I feel like I've passed some kind of test, like the fact that I yelled some insults at that asshole by phone have earned me her trust. All of a sudden, my mate's more affectionate and kinder to me, her hands touch my skin or my hair without a reason, sometimes she gets closer just to sniff my neck and sighs satisfied before going back to what she was doing, her body sticks to mine in bed till I feel I'm going to die of heat sleeping, hugging her waist with her dogs lying around us. It's pretty obvious that her wolf takes control somehow when she's overprotective of me and responsive to my needs and, at the same time, I know Ruby holds firmly the imaginary leash of the animal inside her, it's getting easier for her to move on all fours every time we train and her wild attitude softens when we play. Her personality is a weird combination of aggressiveness and sweetness and I never know which one she's going to show me although her bad mood has improved a lot lately.

The problem is that she seems determined to spend time with me having fun, she wants me to be comfortable and happy while living in her house and every smile, every look, every touch makes my heart race and butterflies go crazy in my stomach. I think I'm falling in love with my mate, with the real Ruby and not the one she usually shows on her Instagram, I'm don't admire her just like any other fan do and my feelings are getting so intense that they're scary. It was easier to resist her at first while walking on tiptoes around her, trying to not fuck things up and trigger her alpha wolf: her mistrusts towards me worked like a retaining wall. But when she decided we're an item after all and started to behave like she cared about my feelings, she signed the death warrant of my heart.

And it shouldn't be something bad, actually. Haters have eased their pressure on social media, paparazzi follow us every time we leave this house but I don't care if they see me buying apples at a supermarket, I can't understand who could be interested on that, I like her friends and they like me, her mum seemed lovely when we talked... If this were a normal relationship, I'd say we're doing great and falling deeply in love would be the next natural step but I feel something's wrong, like the entire world is holding the breath around us. I know her father is a problem and her brother and the rest of the pack are still here in the city and we'll have to confront them sooner or later. Ruby's doing better each passing day but any mention of the asshole makes her clench her jaw with rage, my mate's mood is unstable and I don't know what to do... I don't know what Ruby feels for me, if she still thinks we're together because it's unavoidable but her heart isn't really involved in an intimate relationship, she seems happier each passing day and less forced around me but I don't know... I don't dare to talk to her about this and I feel I'm jumping into deep waters blindly. If this goes wrong, we'll end up both hurt but she's stronger than me.

"I'm scared, Charlie." I confess to the dog in a quiet tone of voice because I don't want the wolf to hear me but when I turn around the Chihuahua is nowhere to be seen. "What the...? He was here a minute ago..." A strange sound behind the couch tells me my girl's pet is fighting with something and I can't help taking a quick look in order to find out what they toy he seems to like so much is. I raise my eyebrow shocked. "Charlie, I think those are... your mistress' panties..."

"Iselen, honey, can you come?" Ruby's voice echoes through the corridor and I shake my head, recovering her panties before obeying her.

"Your pet is obsessed with your underwear," I make her panties flap like a flag in my hand while getting in the room. My mate turns around confused and growls angrily looking at the ceiling before snatching the garment from my hands and let it drop in the open suitcase that's on her bed.