TWENTY-SIX (Iselen POV)

"Spinach and artichoke lasagne, spicy lentils soup, fried rice with pineapple, veggies and avocado enchiladas, mushroom risotto with oregano... Vegan chocolate brownies and apple tart..." I'm still hesitating about the menu for tonight's dinner because it's not easy to satisfy a carnivore with vegan food, despite Ruby was so excited when Tony phoned her to accept her invitation that she gave me permission to buy a steak for her brother if I wanted, but I intend to offer my guest new things to try, food he wouldn't eat usually. I bet he'll find something he likes on my list of dishes. I walk to the supermarket focused on the piece of paper I have in my hand where I noted down everything I had to buy but I get the impression I'm forgetting something... "What the...?"

A sweet scent... someone pushes me and covers my face with a handkerchief... and everything fades to black a second later.

I wake up dizzy and light-headed, my head hurts, I don't understand what's happening or where I am because everything is dark around me and I don't have night vision like werewolves do... Wolves... Where's my mate? My heart races and I try to move but my wrists and ankles are tied to what feels like a chair, my neck is sore too because of my position while I was sleeping, most likely. How many hours have I spent unconscious? I twist hard trying to free myself while feeling my heart beating in my throat but I don't try to stop the mounting hysteria: I know that the more nervous I am, the easier for Ruby to feel it through our bond... She must've noticed that something goes wrong by now and I think we both can agree on the fact that there's only one person to blame: her father has kidnapped me, or rather, Dominic has kidnapped me on his orders. I doubt that the old guy can carry my dead weight alone, despite being a wolf and a dictatorial Alpha, I got the impression that he's getting weak and that's why he's so eager to get an heir.

"Damn idiot, my girl is going to kick his ass..." I growl quietly while ropes bite deeply into my wrists flesh and I smile with morbid satisfaction despite the pain. The more bruises on my skin, the more furious Ruby will get and harder will be the punishment of those assholes. They don't know my girl is stronger than ever before but she has to find me first... does our bond work as a compass? Can she know my location in addition to my feelings? "Shit, what will I do now?"

A loud noise startles me and I remain still in the darkness, I think I'm in a very small room without windows, it's hot in here even if I'm not wearing my coat... What if I'm not in Vancouver anymore? What if I've spent hours on a plane and I'm back in Australia? My heart races even faster than before and I'm short of breath, shadows that are darker than the darkness around me dance in my eyes and I'm afraid I'll go crazy here alone... I can't pass out now, I need to find out where I am and what the pack is up to. I take a deep breath trying to focus on the bond that binds me to my mate, seeking comfort and reassurance, wherever I go she's always with me... My heart beats fast and I'm scared but I also feel... fury? Rage like I've never felt before runs through my veins and I realize that feeling isn't mine, I'm angry but not that much, it can only be... Ruby's wolf is livid, I can feel her ready to tear our enemies apart and I smile in the darkness: my girls will save me, the animal and the human.

I hear the noise again and this time I listen attentively: footsteps getting closer on the other side of the door echoing... through a corridor, maybe? Are they coming for me? What am I going to do? My first instinct is to pretend that I'm still sleeping in order to hear what they're saying so I let my head fall forward, leaning my chin on my chest, and I close my eyes trying to breathe slowly although it's not easy since my heart keeps beating in my throat and rage and concern fill my brain; I don't know how many of those feelings are mine and how many are Ruby's. The door opens squeaking and a breath of fresh air fans my face, my hair dances against my cheeks tickling me but I remain still despite I want to open my eyes and see the light more than anything else in the world.