SIXTEEN (Iselen POV)

"Good morning..." Ruby whispers quietly while rubbing her hands on her face and flopping down on the stool next to me. Her hair is a mess and the oversize T-shirt she put on yesterday to go to bed is old and worn out in some areas but she's still the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. How does she do it? "I overslept, I'm sorry..."

"It's okay," I answer smiling when I realize that her Aussie accent gets thicker when she's sleepy. "Yesterday was a day filled with emotions... Coffee?" My mate doesn't answer but her pout tells me that she's dying to take a sip so I get up quickly and pour a cup exactly the way she likes it. There's a plate with two toasts and a banana near her on the island counter, her usual breakfast... After several weeks living here I know her preferences and habits and I don't need the bond that binds us in order to know what she needs but it's good to feel her happiness when she takes the first sip and bites the banana, anyways. Ruby Rose starts to be social again after drinking half a cup of coffee and eating a toast.

"I feel better... come here..." My girl waves her hand and I get closer confused but she only wants to put her arms around my waist and rub her nose on my collarbone, sniffing my perfume and heaving a satisfied sigh before kissing my lips gently. "Good morning, babe. I'm sorry I scared you yesterday, I didn't mean to do that and won't happen again. I promise."

"It's all right, don't worry..." I shake my head and stop my movement when I see her frowning. She slides her thumb over the mark of her teeth on my neck sending a shiver down my spine, her bite has turned that area of skin in a very sensitive spot linked directly to my core that starts throbbing every time she touches me.

"Did I do that?" Her worried tone of voice wipes out the erotic images that were filling my mind all of a sudden and I tilt my head to be able to take a look at my reflection in the window that leads to the side garden.

"It's only a small scratch, I hadn't noticed it... I don't feel any pain, I'm fine..." My mate's anxiety skyrockets when she thinks she's hurt me with her teeth or claws and my stomach turns like hers due to our bond. "Ruby... I'm okay... calm down, please." I look at her right into her eyes and she nods finally, taking a deep breath before grabbing her cup and dragging me to the couch taking me by my hand. Ru and Charlie jump to our sides immediately whilst Chance was already lying on a pillow: being a very close pack has its perks but sometimes it gets a bit awkward, last night Ruby collapsed on our bed exhausted, sticking to my body and holding me tight, her furry pets lied around us while I felt I was being cooked on a low heat and was sweating under the sheet unable to move a muscle.

"We have a problem..." my mate mumbles pensively before drinking her coffee, leaving the cup on a side table and putting her arm on my shoulders. "I need your help, I'll have to train more hours in my wolf form in order to control my impulses if my father and his people are trying to provoke me deliberately so I get furious in public..."

"Of course I'll help you but I don't understand. If you turn in front of humans, the wolf would be out of the bag. You're Ruby Rose, a world star, there're always paparazzi around you... imagine all those pics being reposted on Instagram... It's crazy, what are they thinking?" I shake my head, frustrated, and my girl smiles sadly.

"The problem is that they aren't thinking, probably, or maybe they'll tell everybody that it's a special effect test for my next movie. Humans only see what they want to see... Think about it, even if you had the living proof of our existence in front of you, how long did it take you to accept the fact that werewolves were real?" I snort while rolling my eyes hard.

"I remember I cried for an eternity sitting on the bathroom floor of your brother's house after I saw Athina changing... and I guess I didn't believe it till I hugged you in your wolf form in the garden... I understand what you mean, reality can be very difficult to process for humans and they prefer to believe their world is a normal and safe place to live." Ruby kisses my cheek sweetly before tilting her head back, leaning it on the pillow, and looking at the ceiling. "Okay, they're provoking you deliberately... what will happen if they prove that you're unstable?"