Chapter 30

Dean woke up in the back seat of the Impala. He felt terrible, a sinking feeling overcoming everything else. Every part of him felt like complete shit, he couldn't find a single thing to feel good about. That is until he checked his phone to find at least twenty missed calls from Castiel, but then he remembered what he did and the bad feelings came rushing back. Dean listened to one of the voice mails left by him saying,

"Hey, uh, I have surgery tonight so if you wanted to know... This is my twenty second time calling but I get it if you don't want to come back. I just, um...want you to be there. But have fun...without me." A long pause and Castiel hung up.

Dean sighed and pulled out from the side of the road. He estimated that the drive back would be at least four hours back to the hospital.

*

"I don't think he's coming back." Castiel played with his fingers, wishing they were Dean's.

Sam placed the papers on the chair. "You never know." Sam turned and smiled. Dean had called him and asked the time of his surgery and told him he's going to be there. Now it's just the matter of not giving into Castiel's sad puppy eyes.

"I screwed up, Sam."

"Na, it's Anna's falt. She's the bitch that kissed you in the first place."

Castiel couldn't help but display a very small smile. "She is a bitch."

"I'm sure that everybody thinks she is."

Castiel shifted and winced at the sudden pain. "I agree. But why won't he answer me? I've apologized many times, I tried agreeing to what he thinks, I tried the truth, I've tried every damn way..."

Sam felt bad, especially for not telling him. "He'll be back, sometime."

"How do you know? Has he answered your calls?"

"No, I've called at least ten times but no reply. I just know, Cas, that he'll come back. I swear."

"Don't make promises you can't keep."

*

Dean entered into the hospital and made it to Castiel's room after being chased by six security guards.

You make one mistake, come on.

His room was empty, the bed he was laying in when he was here before is now gone. Sam wasn't there but there was a couple papers on a small desk. Dean grabbed them and read through it. Some questions were odd to ask but it's protocol apparently. Like:

"Last time you had sex? Sexuality? Address?" And a whole bunch more that seem like a stalker would ask.

Dean rolled his eyes. But then he scanned to a section that described his surgery and the after effects. Some of them seemed horrifying and extremely painful. Cas is the damn brave to actually agree to this shit.

"Dean? You're a little late." Sam patted his shoulder.

"I know, it says it started two hours ago. When is he gonna be out?" Dean motioned to the stack of papers he had set down.

Sam smiled. "He's already out, just really tired and in a shit load of pain."

"Visiting hours?"

"Anytime. But Dean, I swear to God if you-"

Dean sighed, "I won't, okay?"

Sam nodded and showed Dean the way to his current room. Castiel was asleep but he looked like it was a terrible dream associated with more pain than he can take. He's hooked up to a whole bunch of stuff, one Dean could tell is morphine; others he couldn't recognize. Sam's smile faded and he sat down beside Castiel shaking his shoulder. Dean watched his boyfriend, a few groans escaping him.