1. Always

- I would never jeopardise my family's welfare, Albus. You know that. You know me! Severus stated in quite desperate high pitched voice.

- Then you realise that the option given is the only one available now, Severus. Albus was calm, although he was aware that the sacrifice would be too much, and in the end , it could even turn irreversible.

Before meeting her, he thought that Lily would be the woman of his life. Despite her marriage to Potter, he had promised to protect her. He never hoped to fall in love with any other woman. But only two years later, his heart decided to surrender to the lovely hazel eyes of Olivia Barley Moss. She was a half blood witch of rare beauty and even rarer character.

She loved him unconditionally, never asking anything more than he would be able to provide, since he remained a double agent, despite Voldemort's fall a year before. He kept her a secret from all but Dumbledore. The only one who acknowledged her existence and relationship with the nasty Potions Master.

They always took precautions. It was against all odds.

He dared to allow his face to smile and lighten up with the news. He knew it was a gift, precious yet forbidden.

- I could always terminate the pregnancy, Olivia stated in a broken voice.

- I would never forgive myself, never.

Albus was the one to offer the painful solution. Severus and Olivia knew that they had to agree.

He would pretend that Olivia and his child wouldn't exist. He would continue be a double agent and only afters Voldemort's final death, he would be able to come out and state that Olivia was his wife and the child was his.

- Will you protect him, if something happens to me, Severus?

- I will protect him. Always.

- But if the child is male? he will need his father's guidance, especially when he reaches puberty, Olivia claimed.

- Then I will appear as dear family friend. And I will provide guidance.

The foul agreement proved correct when Olivia learnt that she was indeed expecting a boy.

- I have no idea of boys.... she used to whisper to herself at night.

Albus informed Molly Weasley about the whole situation and she suggested that Olivia should move in with the Weasleys to have full support not only during pregnancy but also with the up bringing of her son.

When Albus told Severus, he wasn't thrilled, but he had to agree that it was a safety option for both his secret wife and his secret son to come.

The day his son was born, he was there. He wanted to see him. He helped Molly and Poppy to deliver the baby and tried very hard to convey his emotions.

He held his son for a moment that seemed like a century, smiling with watery eyes.

He looked up to his wife, ready to congratulate her for her strength.

Her eyes were also watery but like ice. Seconds passed slowly, while his eyes changed and widened with horror. Poppy was checking on his wife's pulse. No pulse.

Molly shook her and slapped her on her face. No reaction.

No pulse.

Nothing.

She was gone.

Poppy and Molly looked at Severus who was now crying silently.

He lost her.

What would he do now ?

His only son would be an orphan...

But he promised to protect him.

Always.