6. Tobias and Eileen

Severus understood the need of his son to know his family background.

Although it was very painful for him, he had no choice but to actually search for his parents.

It surprised him to find them both alive.

- I found them, Son. They are both alive. I would suggest to wait though... I should probably visit them alone and then if they feel like it, we could go together.

- No way, Dad. We will go together. I don't want them in our life if they don't accept you back.

Eileen was happy to hear from her son.

Tobias was not thrilled though.

It was late August, on a rainy day, when Severus and Orion visited them.

Severus had already warned his son that no magic would be allowed nor accepted in his paternal house.

Eileen opened the door with a big smile on her skinny, aged face.

She opened her arms to welcome her son in a hug, but Severus didn't hug her. He couldn't forget and erase all those moments of violence that he had endured.

Eileen had tears in her eyes, especially when she saw her grandson.

Tobias, on the other hand, was in the living room, sitting on an armchair, with a coke in hand.

When he heard Severus' footsteps, he stood up and went towards his son.

He examined him closely, checking him, while Severus stared at him. Orion stood exactly behind Severus.

Tobias rose his hand in a rare movement of affection towards his son, caressing his cheek.

Severus didn't like the feeling but couldn't say anything.

It was as if Tobias read his thought and all of a sudden, slapped Severus hard on his face.

- There you son of a bitch! You haven't shown a sign of life for more than 20 years and you dare show up with a bastard in my house!

Severus didn't react at all. Orion stood behind his father, silent but shocked.

His father was obviously abused during his childhood years. That is why he preferred giving Orion to the Weasleys, than having him raised by his own parents...

It all made sense now...

Eileen reacted though.

- How dare you Tobias? We haven't seen our only son for so long, he finally comes home with our only grandson and you treat him like that! Shame on you! You should probably leave. Leave! DO YOU HEAR ME ? LEAVE!!! Eileen started screaming and crying.

- Mom, it's ok, don't worry, Severus spoke.

Tobias stood and stared at his son. He really hated him.

- I am here, because my son wanted to meet you. That's all. Anyway, I think we should leave, Severus said.

- NO! Eileen cried. Please stay for dinner, please! She was desperate and so sad.

Tobias looked at his grandson and thought for a moment. Then he chose to speak again:

- Is your son a freak like you?

Orion looked at his father with a strange expression.

- He is a wizard, yes.

Orion couldn't believe his own ears.

Tobias reflected on his son's answer. He hated him. He truly hated him. But his son wasn't as he remembered him. Rude like himself, ugly like his wife, ill tempered like himself, magical like his wife...